Dude, tone your face

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/03/dude-tone-your-face.html

Toners are basically nonsense. If they have salicylic acid in them, then they can be useful, because salicylic acid is about the only thing that actually gets the muck out of your pores (it’s oil-soluble). But they’re not magic, and if they have alcohol in them, they’re actively damaging your skin.

What you really need is sunscreen. Clean your face daily, exfoliate it every now and then, wear sunscreen every day, you’re good to go.

12 Likes

I’m not a real man, so maybe I’m wrong here, but from my experience taking a shower daily is everything that human face needs to work reasonably well.

15 Likes

The first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions toner to me is the stuff laser printers use. Not sure I’d want that on my face.

8 Likes

This feels like a personal attack.

7 Likes

I guess that depends on whether you want to look butch or femme.

Either way - know your audience.

8 Likes

I’ve never understood what toner is supposed to be for, and I still don’t, but I suppose the thing would be to get some and see if I find it enjoyable in some way.

3 Likes

I am a 39 year old dude and had a lady friend give me a sample set for skin care that consisted of toner, some kind of serum/ambrosia thing, and then a moisturizer to “lock it all in.”

The toner burned my skin even after watering it down several times. I get that the point is to strip your skin back such that it sucks up all of the serum (like using mineral spirits before applying wood stain) but maybe a better idea is to not put a bunch of crazy shit on your face to begin with? I’m going to get crows feet. I’m fine with that. I’ll stick with a lightweight cleanser.

10 Likes

I moved to only using soap in my smelly areas about 4 years ago, and this year, stopped doing even that… I did get a microbubble showerhead ( I highly recommend it), and I do wash my hands regularly (and apply deoderant), but at least in my case, not using soap has only been a plus, my skin is smoother, less irratated, fewer breakouts, and no, I don’t smell.

YMMV, obviously.

8 Likes

Soap. Water. Apply liberally to your bits. Rinse.

Repeat when needed.

3 Likes

This felt like a BoingBoingShop article that forgot to plug a product at the end.

15 Likes

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I’ll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

8 Likes

If you’ve ever painted a wall, if you don’t prime the wall, the paint doesn’t go on evenly. Toner is the primer to the skin

Why, yes, I do run my life according to facile comparisons that make no sense but encourage conspicuous consumption of products designed to make me self-critical. Thank you for providing another one.

12 Likes

Me too, except in the summer when I just feel sticky all over. I first had to ditch major brand deodorants because my whole armpit would break out in rashes, then I realized that the reason I felt itchy after every shower was because I was using Tide. Once I switched to fragrance and dye free detergent that went away (though I’m reminded every time I forget and use a hotel towel). I eventually moved away from soaping my whole body after reading about the body’s biome a decade or so ago and haven’t been uncomfortable, rashy or smelly since.

4 Likes

I use arm and hammer deodorant, stopped using anti perspirants a while ago, as they gave me nasty infected blocked pores.

5 Likes

no.

4 Likes

Want to go all in on your face? Exfoliate. Twice a week, lightly scrub your face with an[ exfoliating product ] containing a mild grit and strip away all the bad to make room for the good.

Exfoliating is total nonsense foisted upon the public by Big Skincare.

5 Likes

When my hippy brand of detergent was out I used A&H free of dyes and perfumes. I didn’t react at all. They also make a saline mister that’s just pure pressurized saline. It’s amazing for clearing sinuses, especially for kids.

4 Likes

Toner?
What IS that?

2 Likes

Yeah, for kids the mister is great, for adults, netti pots are a much cheaper solution (and help tons with seasonal allergies), just be sure to use clean water.

4 Likes