Duffy the rough collie can't catch balls

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/03/duffy-the-rough-collie-cant.html

8 Likes

But he never stops trying. Good boy.

15 Likes

Maximum points indeed!

8 Likes

Sorry to be the purist, but I cannot award maximum points for that truncated ‘Nessun dorma’. The lyrics become quite weird that way…

Duffy gets +100 for trying, though.

3 Likes

Duffy catches better than I do.

5 Likes

Except it isn’t a rough collie. It’s a sheltie collie, otherwise known as a Shetland Sheep Dog. I had one and not being able to catch is pretty typical of the breed.

6 Likes

Aw, what a special doggy.

4 Likes

A long time ago my girlfriend at the time had a Sheltie which she brought to my parents` sheep farm. Within 5 minutes the ewes had him cornered in the corral, with no hope of escape.

I lost some respect for the (admittedly beautiful and cute) breed at that point. Give me a border collie any day (assuming enough land for it to run).

4 Likes

I was sitting on a ridge on the Isle of Skye recently watching a team of 4 border collies far below me work a flock. I was astonished at their endurance. It was far more than mine, the reason I was just sitting on the ridge.

1 Like

Came to say that. My dog is useless with balls, and has simply given up.

Edit - are sheepdogs just not very good with balls in general?

2 Likes

When I was a kid, I had a border collie/husky cross who used to chase footballs down and burst them. Got me into a lot of fights in the park, that dog did.

4 Likes

This is my favorite pet film since Ennui Cat.

This is mine. He doesn’t run much these days, though. He’s 13 and arthritic.

12 Likes

I have a German Shepherd, which we think of as police/service dogs, but they were bred to be, well, shepherds. She’s very good with catching balls or whatever

9 Likes

All very good doggos. 14/10. Would pat for hours.

4 Likes

Watching the video recalled my childhood.

2 Likes

Good to hear it’s typical of the breed. My first thought was “I wonder if he/she has really bad eyesight…”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.