Dune logo unveiled at event; copyright claimants rush to remove it from the 'net

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/29/dune-logo-unveiled-at-event-c.html

3 Likes

Nothing spells fan base like a copyright cudgel.

9 Likes

Normally a logo would be protected by trademark, but trademark can’t be used for DMCA takedowns, so…

Come to think of it, is a trademark on file with the US Patent Office? It’d be hard to DMCA-strike that!

5 Likes

The takedowns MAY be of a wire photo. That’s the “above board” scenario for the claims.

6 Likes

7 Likes

magnificent badness of the 1982 David Lynch movie

:open_mouth:

11 Likes

“No Logo!”, aka a Naomi Klein takedown notice?

Well. Last time someone made a Dune thing (that TV series), I had to watch it drugged. And the 1982 version? Definitely to be watched while stoned. I haven’t had any form of even slightly hallucinogenic drugs in quite a while, for reasons. But I might make an exception for that new attempt.

And maybe, just maybe, read those books. Or at least start, again. Last time I tried I was about 13ish. It didn’t catch on, then. I stopped after the first tome, and didn’t go back.

2 Likes

Copyright shenanigans aside, I really love that logo. Simple but symbolically rich.

The hype machine is working on me. I know I’ll probably be disappointed, and no movie really do the novel right. But what if…!

Also, I liked the Lynch Dune, but in a completely different way than the original. Like garlic vs. garlic powder, they are nominally similar, fundamentally different and both pretty powerful in unique ways.

12 Likes

Well I love the new logo:

It’s simple, yet informative.

26 Likes

I’m sure that Media not displayed: This image has been removed in response to a report from the copyright holder will be a great film, and it might even get a few Oscars.

10 Likes

Ok…I may have just had a birth of a notion (or its a stroke…I am having some pain in my right shoulder and back)…

Movie title: Media not displayed: This image has been removed in response to a report from the copyright holder
Plot: Follow the harrowing adventure of an up and coming writer/director who has their masterpiece stolen by a cringey-hollywood exec only to find the weight of the big money studio’s legal team crushing their dream of bringing their masterpiece to the big screen. Will big money prevail or will the true artist win the day and burst onto the scene!?

2 Likes

⊃⋃⋂ ⪽

17 Likes

It’s a fantastic logo. WOW.

I think Villeneuve is going to pull it off, and blow our goddamn minds.

:exploding_head:

5 Likes

And the first in a trilogy. Exciting times!

4 Likes

This logo removed by the Church of Scientology.

5 Likes

At risk of being banned from the boards I must admit I have not read Dune

3 Likes

This image has been removed in response to a report from the copyright holder

10 Likes

Neither have I. I don’t think it was written with dyslexics in mind.

6 Likes

aside from the logotype, which i love… is that wormsign in the background there? or just a ridge of sand?

1 Like

I’ll skip the movie for the same reason I change radio stations whenever Metallica comes on: Since I can’t validate the copyright holders are getting paid their fair share I don’t wanna be part of the problem. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: /concerntrollisconcerned

3 Likes