Dune the Movie (80's)

How can anyone NOT love Agent Cooper!

7 Likes

what’s wrong with

Paul and Chani’s love grew.

Simple. Direct. To the Point.

2 Likes

But you also have people like me, who love both Herbert and Lynch.
It’s sort of like a “Hey, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter!” or “Hey, you got your peanut butter on my chocolate” kind of thing for me. :smile:

3 Likes

i’m surprised no one has mentioned jodorowsky’s proposed treatment and storyboards for a version he wanted to film. it wouldn’t have been very much like the book but it would have been a beautiful mess.

There’s a great documentary on it, btw. Simply titled, Jodorowsky’s Dune.

1 Like

At least 2 people did.

3 Likes

Here’s a patented @beschizza Hot Take.

6 Likes

This makes me wonder…does the actor portraying the leader of the transport crew get paid for SAG pay for lines, or does it not count because he’s “pretending” to say something?

2 Likes

As both a martial artist and sound designer, I love those bits. I thought it was a reasonable extrapolation from Herbert’s description of their sound/voice work. And how many times in sci-fi movies does anybody think of a new, interesting weapon? I think that the presentation and training made it better than just another generic “blaster”. I never felt cheated that it wasn’t shown what prana-bindu musculature looked like.

2 Likes

I think if you mime saying a line or even say a line without the audio being distinct, you’re still an extra. For example, in Spike Lee’s Get on the Bus, you can see some of the bus rider extras participate in the Shabooya, Roll Call scene, but since you can never distinguish their audio, they’re only shown participating in the group chanting, they still qualify as extras.

the funny thing is i went back and forth through the comments above mine two or three times and didn’t see a word about it but as soon as i read your post and started scrolling back up i saw one immediately.

so it goes . . .

2 Likes

7 Likes

My homemade cover art for the Dune soundtrack in iTunes.

9 Likes

Woah - dude, just have a bite to eat!

Good job, you jumpstarted my puberty all over again. And I was just getting to menopause, too!

3 Likes

One of my all time favorite movies, and one of my all time favorite books.

Even if they don’t have that much to do with one another.

1 Like

What? That’s prime gladiatorial physique right there.

I like my fighters a little beefier. It doesn’t mean anything. But I always imagine them … fighting for me. Not that that means anything either. Erm; I think.

All the wrestling scenes from Topkapi without the distraction of the heist

2 Likes

I watched it over and over again as a child. It really gave me a taste for Lynch films.

Only later did I read the books. Did not develop quite the taste for those.

Anyways, it is still one of my favorite movies. What makes Lynch great is the dreamy sense of menace he cultivates, which may or may not pay off in the plot line later. The expectation of said menace is part of what made watching “The straight story” so interesting.

3 Likes