Duran Duran suing its "fan club"

A simpler time. A time when you could barely turn on the TV without hearing the words “Russell Mulcahy Extravaganza”.

Still my favorite thing Patrick Stewart has done.

Every body does it their first time back.

1 Like

Yeah, the nausea was for the 30 years, not Duran Duran. I guess it’s just the nature of aging, that I get an occasional bout of temporal vertigo. And, really, they shaped my tastes as well, even though I’ve never been to Japan (and I’m a little jealous :slight_smile: of that.)

They were so pretty, with the hair and makeup, it normalized my own blurring of gender in fashion. I wanted to be John Taylor, I wanted to look like him, and it was probably good that I focused on that and not the Girls on Film aesthetic. My mom rented it for me when I was like 11. She was all “O_o ? This is what you wanted to watch? I thought they were gay, so what’s with the bikini girls?”

4 Likes

[quote=“cleveremi, post:25, topic:37795”] My mom rented it for me when I was like 11. She was all “O_o ? This is what you wanted to watch? I thought they were gay, so what’s with the bikini girls?”
[/quote]

I remember when my best friend and I (we were around 13) had to ask her mom to go buy a Playgirl for us because they had an interview in it. We also asked her to find it in the magazine and tear it out for us so we wouldn’t see anything ‘gross’. She snickered a lot that day.

2 Likes

Oh boy, are you in for a treat. Robulus was not referring to Japan the country, but Japan the band, who, based on the rest of your comment, you will likely love.

I spent my time in the early eighties trying to look like their lead singer David Sylvian.

Oh, and it’s probably a good thing your mom didn’t see the video for The Chauffeur

2 Likes

Thanks! I’d never seen that video. It’s hotter, and weirder, than I’d imagined just from the song. Nice!

I’ll definitely take a closer look at Japan (and other Duran Duran videos I’ve missed) once I finish up my work, Cinderella-style. I know what I’m doing this weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool! Report back when you’re done!

Hey man check this out:

This is from their 1980 album “Gentlemen take Polaroids”, Duran Duran’s debut came out a year later. They’d established the style on 1979s ‘Quiet Life’. Hard to overestimate the effect of this group, but Sylvians solo work develops many of the ideas they started.

2 Likes

Why would there be a fan backlash? This isn’t some dinky little fan-run fan club, like we used to have back in the day. There are companies now that run “official fan clubs” for bands, that set up websites to sell merch and give fans early access to concert tickets. For example, ground(ctrl) which runs the fan clubs/websites for the Backstreet Boys, New Kids On The Block, Matchbox Twenty and others. That’s who is being sued here (the company that Duran Duran hired for this, not ground(ctrl)), not the fans.

And mock all you want, folks, nostalgia sells a LOT of concert tickets. Duran Duran played the Air Canada Centre here in Toronto back in 2008, which seats 20K or so, if memory serves.

When I was in college in New Orleans, a friend of mine worked as an admin asst at a record label. She sometimes was tasked with squiring bands around town and taking them to the local music spots. She told me that Duran Duran were total jerks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.