Dyatlov Pass incident likely an avalanche after all

1 Like

When I voted for the “Leopards Eating People’s Tongues Party”, I never guessed they’d eat MY tongue!!!

“Of course we take the tongues and anuses; how else are we going to make hot-dogs, human?”

7 Likes

Mmm, yes. When camping, I frequently set the tent up so my head is downhill on a 28 degree slope, and strip down before turning in. :thinking:

I’m all for science and simple explanations though! If anything I’d suspect a military operation gone wrong and subsequent coverup (like the point that two worked with radiation, but that’d be kept secret unill later… and it’s interesting to note the autopsy expert indicated many missing parts were due to postmortem injuries (like bodies recovered from streams)).

The slab would be heavy but it seems like it would also have to be moving relatively fast, and if it dropped down from just above the tent, it’s not clear to me how it could have built up any speed. I’m sure they considered that but it just wasn’t clear to me from the video.

Another theory that seems plausible to me is in the fairly recent book Dead Mountain by Donnie Eichar. He’s not a scientist himself but he interviewed some for the book. They thought it was possible that given the topography at the site, the strong winds could have generated infrasound, very low frequency sounds that can induce a feeling of dread. If they heard and felt that at night, waking up from a sound sleep, one or more of them could have panicked and believed it was an avalanche, causing everybody to flee. The most severely injured were found in a ravine, and the fall could have caused the crushing injuries. Just one of multiple theories, of course, but it seemed plausible. Good general book on the incident, too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.