Dylan Farrow wonders why Woody Allen still gets away with it

To be fair, no one goes to see his movies anymore anyway.

3 Likes

If there are other victims, this would certainly be a good moment for them to come forward.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t. “It” refers here to (or rather can be) singular.

Maybe not a “victim”, but 60 year old men don’t get to bang their wives’ daughters as soon as they’re legal without everyone else forming a reasonable suspicion of where all that smoke comes from.

18 Likes

I’d ideally like people who commit crimes be convicted and sentenced. Not leave it up to society to individually meter out punishment and retribution as we each individually see fit.

Theoretically if a person has served their time, society welcomes them back. Maybe “welcome” is too strong a word, more like they are given a chance to redeem their worth to society.

If we each get to decide how to punish each person, we’ll find a lot of inconsistency in the punishment and likely no chance at rehabilitation.

I’d rather we had a system of justice that applies the law equally. I know it’s a big ask, but it’s worth asking for.

In Hollywood, that’s not a minor remedy, It’s the only remedy. That’s what the whole power dynamic is about, work and money. I mean, if no A-list actors were willing to work with Allen, his movies would not get made. Given other stories about Allen–such as his treatment of Muriel Hemingway while filming Manhattan, and the whole marrying-a-teenager thing–Dylan’s story certainly seems credible.

6 Likes

In the op-ed Rob links to in his post, Dylan writes:

I don’t know why there are people saying we should withhold judgement until there’s more evidence, or other people with allegations. There is evidence. And isn’t assaulting a child just once enough of a crime?

It doesn’t matter how much you enjoy “Annie Hall,” Woody Allen sexually assaulted his daughter. Just as I can’t deny his talent as a filmmaker, I can’t deny Dylan Farrow’s heartbreaking story. I believe her.

He did something disgusting and reprehensible, and he should be held accountable.

23 Likes

No one is asking for Allen, Weinstein or any other creeps to be sent to prison without a trial. The question is why some sex creeps get ostracized by their industry peers after their behavior becomes known to the public and others don’t.

15 Likes

To your point: Roman Polanski

19 Likes

Whoa that’s some creepy shit. I love how she was waiting/ hoping for her parents to say “no” and they just encouraged her. And people wonder why fucked up shit happens to child actors…

10 Likes

When the perpetrators are wealthier and more powerful than the victims, and you won’t accept anything less than a conviction before anyone is allowed to say anything, then you are guaranteeing the world is full of Harvey Weinsteins and Woody Allens – people wealthy and connected enough to protect themselves from their powerless victims.

We can compare that to a world where people like Weinstein and Allen are punished extrajudicially through ostracization and denunciation (neither of which are actually illegal).

To me, the latter seems like by far the more just world. You disagree?

10 Likes

The central cause of many of the world’s problems, not just problems like sex-criminals like Woody Allen.

2 Likes

If anything, that seems like it would cause you to find my argument more agreeable rather than less…

The question was:

4 Likes

How does Woody Allen still get away with it?

Because in this modern world we live in, even HuffPost periodically publishes pieces like this:

4 Likes

From “Love and Death”, an older film:

“I had to live many years, and, after many trials and tribulations, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing [in life] is … blonde 12-year-old girls. Two of them, whenever possible.”

Hmmmm.

9 Likes

I saw that article when i pulled up the other Roman Polanski link i posted earlier and i could not believe that huffpost article.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, I’ve read that. It’s disturbing, but then Moses Farrow said Mia did create a cult-like, brainwashing home environment, so I’m back to square one. There’s also Stacey Nelkin’s claim that Farrow’s lawyers wanted her to lie about her age when she dated Allen, and Mia Farrow’s continued friendship with Roman Polanski that complicates how I look at this. I find it hard to completely trust anyone in this saga, the best I can do is think of Woody Allen as a creep and a weirdo. But we always knew that from his movies. Whether he is also a criminal may never be settled legally, so I can’t fault any actor who works with him because he has made some good films.

OK, pedantry, but what does “gets” imply? Perhaps it should be “got away with it.”

4 Likes

Its worse - she was a very young looking 16.

2 Likes

Mostly I was making fun of Stardust Memories where people would come up to him as tell him the loved is older funny films.

And yes, he has always been a bit of a creep.

2 Likes

helen-lovejoy-partisan

So THAT’S how many women are worth 1 man! Good to know! /s

[ETA - to add the quote I was responding to!]

18 Likes