E.P.A. won't ban chlorpyrifos pesticide that scientists say damages children's brains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/e-p-a-wont-ban-chlorpyrifos.html

In the Federal Register, EPA said “critical questions remained regarding the significance of the data” that show chlorpyrifos causes neurological harm to young children.

6 Likes

tRump / TGOP EPA…

FIFY

6 Likes

No time to read the post or the article, but I did read the headline and I think I have a pretty good grasp on this. Obviously the pesticide shouldn’t be used on children. Can’t imagine what the problem is here.

7 Likes

Don’t worry. I’m sure the “pro-life” folks are going to be all over this.

13 Likes

It won’t matter, the EPA has also -
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-07-12/epa-approves-pesticide-harmful-to-bees

Kill off the bees = no food.

18 Likes

Ah, more grand decisions brought to us by the “think of the children” party.

Now I guess they’ll have to think FOR the children as well. I’m betting they’re good with that though.

10 Likes
8 Likes

So 20 years of research showing serious promlems of brain development in controled rodent experiments, 10 years of human trials showing that the exposure near farms is causing similar developmental problems in humans, and what does the EPA decide?
There is still some remaining questions about the neurotoxic effects on children so we shouldn’t risk hurting corporate profits while further research is done on how badly we are damaging people.
I would really like to live in a country where I could believe it when I tell myself that my government cares more about people than corporate profits. Maybe someday

30 Likes

Well they’ve got to get the next generation of GOP voters somehow. Getting the lead out of paint and gasoline has really screwed up GenX and the Millennials for them.

21 Likes

Well, they say it hurts bees. We’ll have to do some research to know for sure. Coincidentally, the USDA research wing, which already has a 25% job vacancy rate, is slated to lose (at least) 2/3 of their remaining employees thanks to an arbitrary relocation from Washington DC to Kansas. And, oh, among the research groups that are going to be totally destroyed is the bee group. But don’t worry, once the department is back on its feet and staffed again, they’ll be on it. They only expect it’ll take ten years, with luck.

Which seems to be the Trump approach - deny inconvenient science, gag the researchers so they can’t talk about it, then totally destroy the department so no one else will in the future.

22 Likes

This is what Science Based Medicine has to say on the subject: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/update-on-glyphosate/

1 Like

Thats a different class of chemicals. Glyphosates don’t affect the nervous system, chlorpyrifos do

13 Likes

8 Likes

The point might be more about the hysteria that can surround pesticides, with glyphosate as an important example.

1 Like

What would it take these days to get a chemical like DDT banned? Perhaps only if it turned people into zombies.

5 Likes

There is no government, acting on our behalf, at the present moment. The grown ups that were supposed to ride herd on Orange Julius Ceasar have left the room, kids.

Speaking of kids, why would ours want to successfully reproduce?

6 Likes

Yep.

Start the countdown.
I just submitted passport paperwork for myself and family members, at least the ones that can travel.

Luck favors the prepared, and yet… how does one prepared for widespread collapse of food systems, food chains, farming, future generations (children), and so much more?

The half-life of chlorpyrifos:
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/chlorpyrifos-ext.html

Pesticide Action Network weighs in with this roundup of studies:

http://www.panna.org/blog/yup-chlorpyrifos-bad-brains

Backstory re efforts to regulate harmful deployment of chlorpyrifos:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/04/05/2017-06777/chlorpyrifos-order-denying-panna-and-nrdcs-petition-to-revoke-tolerances

Sad.

One could say that one interpretation of the U.S. EPA’s latest move here is that we, the people, the inconvenient unwashed masses, the rabble, simply are not dying fast enough, we are not getting out the way with the kind of speed required by The Rich and Powerful under Late Stage Capitalism’s last gasp to monetize every last breath of the suffering ordinary people.

I am the People, the Mob

by Carl Sandburg - 1878-1967

I am the people—the mob—the crowd—the mass.

Do you know that all the great work of the world is done through me?

I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world’s food and clothes.

I am the audience that witnesses history. The Napoleons come from me and the Lincolns. They die. And then I send forth more Napoleons and Lincolns.

I am the seed ground. I am a prairie that will stand for much plowing. Terrible storms pass over me. I forget. The best of me is sucked out and wasted. I forget. Everything but Death comes to me and makes me work and give up what I have. And I forget.

Sometimes I growl, shake myself and spatter a few red drops for history to remember. Then—I forget.

When I, the People, learn to remember, when I, the People, use the lessons of yesterday and no longer forget who robbed me last year, who played me for a fool—then there will be no speaker in all the world say the name: “The People,” with any fleck of a sneer in his voice or any far-off smile of derision.

The mob—the crowd—the mass—will arrive then.

source:

17 Likes

Ah, more grand decisions brought to us by the “think of the children” party.
Now I guess they’ll have to think FOR the children as well. I’m betting they’re good with that though.

Raising another generation of GOP voters!

2 Likes

Pesticides are totally cool, but don’t vaccinate your children because the aborted fetuses and mercury will give your kids autism.

14 Likes

Fake meme! Biff never apologises! :laughing:

6 Likes