Trump's first 4 days: a ban on disclosing scientific facts and felony charges for journalists

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/25/trumps-first-4-days-a-ban-o.html

4 Likes

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/25/511572169/epa-scientists-work-may-face-case-by-case-review-by-trump-team-official-says?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

17 Likes

Ooooo vetting. Finally we can get all those Islamic terrorists out of their cozy little EPA sleeper cells.

32 Likes

I’ve been checking BB regularly for, oh, 7 years or so, and Cory Doctorow is mainly the reason that I don’t generally bother much these days. This is actually my first time commenting on anything here. I hate trump as much as the next guy, but remember the TPP that you would absolutely not shut up about? He killed that, didn’t he? That’s worth a mention too.

6 Likes
23 Likes

I hope the government climate scientists learned from the actions of their Canadian counterparts who were gagged under Harper’s government. Lots of studies and research that were “lost” during those years were suddenly re-discovered sitting in attics, basements, storage closets and personal computers the moment that Harper left office.

The gag order is about as surprising as the press-hating regime using the same tactics deployed against journalists covering the Standing Rock protests. Gessen’s Rule #1: Believe the Autocrat. If he’s stated clearly that he thinks climate scientists are Chinese-funded fraudsters and that he thinks the press is treating him unfairly he’s going to do something about it once he’s in power.

19 Likes

It was de facto dead long before he signed his bit of paper this week. Let’s see what he does about the TiSA and TTIP. And what kind of trade deals he comes up with.

22 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing! Although it seems that you’re disappointed.

I’m sure @doctorow is fine with his officially killing TPP, which was on the way out anyhow. The problem is that, as with the GOP killing ACA, there’s no replacement offered except for vague and brain-dead protectionist rhetoric.

30 Likes

Trump may have killed the TPP, but it was because of the trade stuff (I think). Cory largely blasted the TPP for the stranglehold it would put on intellectual property.

TPP may be dead, but I am reasonably sure that Trump will just replace it with something worse for intellectual freedom and copyright.

32 Likes

That was fast. Three days and already it’s time for Jerry Brown to launch a satellite.

10 Likes

Thank God we finally have a Constitutional Conservative in the White House!

And, before you dirty hippies and libertines start complaining, keep in mind that there is nothing in the Constitution about your (or the Fake News’) “right” to Free Speech!

11 Likes

In DC right now:

RESIST

15 Likes

Yet for some reason, you felt the irresistible urge to throw your two cents into the ring just now, after all that time; not to discuss the topic at hand, but to criticize the author, (who by all accounts, including his own, is not perfect.)

Welcome to Boing Boing long time lurker/comrade.

27 Likes

TPP was already dead. Hillary had already said she wasn’t planning to pursue it either.

15 Likes

not just vetting, but “extreme vetting.”

8 Likes

Protip: Don’t click on or read stories written by Cory if you don’t like stories written by Cory. I still visit my Dad even though I can’t stand his thoughts on the Eagles’ “Hotel California”.

19 Likes

While you’re correct that Russia is using the U.S.'s less savoury foreign policy habits against it, Putin wouldn’t bother invading anywhere in North America. He’s only interested in sowing divisiveness in the West and undermining liberal-democratic institutions here so he can work on his Russkiy Mir expansionist project unhindered.

Canada is only on Putin’s radar in connection to control of the Arctic (specifically, access to energy resources and a new Northwest Passage brought to the world by global warming).

5 Likes

Is there more to this story than him simply liking the song?

piqued

8 Likes

Obligs:

23 Likes

As many dumb things as he’s front-loaded into his first few days as POTUS, I wonder whether Trump and his staff are trying to shove as much through the pipeline as they can because they figure he’ll be gone before he can screw up as much as he’s promised to.

12 Likes