Trump's first 4 days: a ban on disclosing scientific facts and felony charges for journalists

HA! It’s nothing more than my having heard his ‘theory’ about the song a million times (and we both love the song). And his theory isn’t really anything more than 1) it’s mystical and metaphorical, 2) it’s about drugs/drug use, 3) and finally, about 2 minutes into the song he will launch into a long stream of consciousness monologue about the lyrics that changes according to his mood, the time of day, etc.

Long story short: his theory about it is as good as any other non-superfan theory about it, but the repetition and the variability have become somewhat of a joke between us.

Edit: Also, Dad, I loves ya! Bore me about the Eagles anytime.

10 Likes

At the very least, I’m taking it to be something he can trumpet to his fans: “See? I told you I’d fuck shit up do all sorts of stuff right off the bat–never you mind what those things are, just cheer me for doing them.”

3 Likes

I’m more an extreme petting kinda guy.

5 Likes

Sidebar:

I live very close to a place rumored to be “the” Hotel California. It was a mental hospital/rehab facility. Now it’s Cal State University Channel Islands. shrug

Despite the fact that the song is most likely an allegory for the music industry and the hedonism of the 1970s, and that the album cover photos were actually taken at the Berverly Hills Hotel, the legends persists, and many of these stories center on the now abandoned Camarillo State Hospital near Ventura. Built in 1936, the facility housed alcoholics, the retarded, drug addicts (jazz great Charlie Parker recorded a seven-month stay in 1947), and more sinister characters such as pedophiles and violently insane criminals. Former patients often referred to the place as “Hotel California” long before the Eagles had even formed

http://www.weirdus.com/states/california/ghosts/camarillo_state_hospital/

3 Likes

I could see that too. I’ve got this suspicion that he’s planning for impeachment and that he knows a lot of the wackadoodle plans he has won’t be carried out by anybody else (or can’t be, really), so he’s got to strike while the iron’s hot.

5 Likes

Your attempt to change the subject, and thus your concession, is duly noted.

3 Likes

It was stupid and incoherent of Trump to back out of TPP given his stated desire to contain China on trade since the main point of TPP was to contain China on trade.

3 Likes

And that is pure fantasy. Just one small point; how are the Russians going to invade? Are you suggesting they’ve built a ground penetrating bomb proof superhighway under the Bering Strait that comes up in DC? Their entire navy is vulnerable to a couple of US missile cruisers, launching strategic missiles would result in Moscow and St Petersburg becoming craters, and an invasion by troop carrying aircraft would be a turkey shoot.

1 Like

Ekranoplans and Zeppelins!

5 Likes

How would it have worked in practice, though? The attempt to control Japanese expansion in the 1930s led to the US end of WW2 and the destruction of the British Empire. At the time, the Japanese were treating the Chinese rather as the Germans were subsequently to treat the Russians. There is a lot of history over there that still resonates, and TPP might have exposed Japan and South Korea to considerable threats from China. China is going to grow; the question is whether it’s best managed by trade, diplomacy or military threat. Scrapping TPP and applying diplomatic pressure may be the right answer.

2 Likes

The problem with the Ekranoplan, as with all ground effect vehicles with sizeable wings, is how do you turn? Barely manageable in the Black Sea, bit of a problem in the Atlantic especially if there’s a bit of a swell.
As for Zeppelins…my grandfather and my aunt saw the SL11 come down at Cuffley (my aunt being a small child at the time) and my mother saw R101 during its last flight. Wouldn’t get me up in one of them things, etc. etc.

2 Likes

I “liked” your comment because I like hearing that our President has trashed the TPP.

Complaining about bloggers I can hear anytime ;).

2 Likes

TrumpLogic™

While I definitely had concerns about TPP, it seemed like part of its purpose was to better compete against China’s trade prowess. Trump has a campaign built in part on anti-China rhetoric. So, he kills a plan designed to try to better compete with China? I don’t get it.

If I were to guess what’s going on in his Cheetos head, it would be something like this: “Fuck free trade. TPP = free trade. So fuck that, too. I have won the argument.”

8 Likes

If Trump were to be impeached his ego would go into complete meltdown. Someone who has to retaliate when it’s suggested that his inauguration wasn’t complete Nurnberg Rally [hi Mike, how’s the law going?] is hardly going to go gracefully into obscurity as the first President to have to leave since Nixon.
He’s trying to be a “businessman”; arrive, sack a few people pour décourager les autres, make a few wacky decisions to show it’s him in charge. He can’t announce that the desktop UI will now look like an early iPhone, he can’t announce that he’s selling off the hardware division, so to get attention he has to do things that will stir up the Librul Media. Column centimetres is what it’s about.
And it’s working, isn’t it?

4 Likes

Depends on how he takes to being generally considered to be a fascist toddler, surely?

He’s getting lots of press, yes. But doesn’t his fragile ego require that he’s well thought of?

I guess he’s lucky he’ll be dead before most of the biopics come out.

6 Likes

[quote=“daneel, post:36, topic:93602”]
I guess he’s lucky he’ll be dead before most of the biopics come out
­ too much irreparable damage can be done. [/quote]

Wishful thinking.

9 Likes

“In its current form”.

https://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/10/07/hillary-clinton-opposes-obamas-trans-pacific-trade-deal/?_r=0

2 Likes

Trump has made noise that he’s against free trade bc US jobs suffer (I don’t believe him, but that’s what he’s intimated). The TPP was free trade, so ergo had to go.

Y’all really think he thought beyond that, to see how it could impact the geopolitics of a rising China? Bwahahaha

No, he won’t. He’ll give the ultra right wing folks everything they want (anti-choice, anti-immigrant, anti-poor, anti-brown legislation galore), and in return he won’t get sacked no matter how outrageous he behaves.

2 Likes

I think part of it is him getting the republican wish list out of the way so that when it all goes to shit the prez gets the blame and the republicans can say it was all his fault and get re-elected. Republicans seem very adept at the “it not our fault” doctrine.

6 Likes

Replying to wrong person. I was in agreement with you.