Trump's first 4 days: a ban on disclosing scientific facts and felony charges for journalists

I used a similar strategy in grade school. I would causally mention how funny it would be if somebody pulled that guy’s pants down while he was chatting with the girls or how much more exciting class would be if somebody threw a paper airplane during the pop quiz.

Somebody would do it every time. They got detention. I got off scot free.

6 Likes

Typo, but correct in context.

3 Likes

Nice catch! :+1:

1 Like

I don’t know what Trump thread to put this in, so I’ll just put it here. Maybe it belongs in “jokes got him elected” thread but whatever.

I’m finding the jokes about him hard to laugh at. His hair, his mannerisms, etc. It’s just … not funny. Who gives a shit at this point – he’s the president and he’s already wreaking havoc and talking utter nonsense. Ridiculous utter nonsense. Jokes on Jimmy “Human Golden Retriever” Fallon about Trumps antics aren’t anything to laugh at. At all.

And newsflash: Dead people vote. And dead people are registered to vote. If a plane went down the day before the election, anyone who registered to vote would have been registered to vote the next day. They’d also still have a drivers license and maybe a gun license and other stuff. If they had voted my mail, a dead person’s vote would have counted. This is not fraud. It’s just mortality rates doing their thing. People die. People with dinner reservations and plane tickets and tickets to Hamilton. It’s just how it goes. And if an election is close enough, they’ll dig through it all. Otherwise, if 60% of votes went to A, and 40% went to B, then the dead-vote split was about the same and who fucking cares. It’s not fraud.

12 Likes

So, we got one thing we cared about and so we should shut up? Really? The TPP was dead already, because congress was not going to approve it (and Clinton had come out against it). Trump just formalized what was already a fact. It was populist grandstanding and was unnecessary on his part.

And shutting down a conduit for public information about what our government is studying, with public funds, is a terrible and and dangerous idea. As is charging journalists doing their jobs, because they were in the “wrong” place at the “wrong” time. Cutting funding for women’s health organizations that help women abroad is a bad move. Building a wall is bad. Etc, etc.

15 Likes

Ha! I know someone who has a job talk out there in a couple of weeks!

1 Like

I think that’s fair and she would have renegotiated, for whatever that is worth… I think she would have run up against the same opposition that Obama did with it, even then. But it was dead in the water, whoever got elected.

4 Likes

I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop on the TPP. He killed the TPP, and maybe it was already dead, but what’s the catch? What worse shit is he going to do instead of the TPP?

8 Likes

Fun fact: Bottle Rocket was also filmed there.

2 Likes

I suspect it will be a bunch of bilateral agreement with much of the same shit, especially the copyright shit that lots of people here most strenuously objected to. He thinks he can get a better deal through the “art of the deal” BS…

6 Likes

Well, the jokes at his expense are getting to him. Personally, I think he deserves to be discomfited as much as possible. On the other hand, do you think his discomfort will make him treat us worse?

2 Likes

Any trade deal he enters into will be grossly imbalanced in favour of U.S. corporations (as opposed to supernational ones, which was the case with TPP). For example, the copyright and IP maximalism will be even worse. American workers and consumers will still be shafted, but hey, at least it won’t be them thar furriners doing the shafting.

See also Brexit, where Know-Nothings happily voted to ensure that if they were going to be oppressed it would be by British plutocrats and toffs, just like in the good old days.

8 Likes

Theresa May is flying over right now to make sure that Brits are also going to be oppressed by Trump.

10 Likes

13 Likes

I think he will lash out at those who cross him, even in trivial ways. I’ve been saying this for months how. The dude was engaged with a decade long feud with Rosie O’Donnell. Why care what she says? Because he’s fucking crazy.

Example of something I expect to happen.

Mexico snubbed him – cancelled the meeting as they should have.

Boquillas is in Mexico. The only way to get there from the US legally is via an official crossing from within Big Bend National Park – you can take the rowboat or wade across – and you go through customs both directions on both sides. It’s legit. It was closed on 9/11 because … I guess they thought terrorists would come in this way (possibly the most inconvenient way to get in to the US ever as there is nothing but hundreds of miles of desert on both sides). The town dried up as it was 100% tourism based. It opened back up in 2013.

Guess what I fully expect to happen now? I expect him to close it again because he’s a petty asshole. These are real lives he’s fucking with on this whims. It’s ridiculous. It’s petty. And he should be above it all. But he is not.

There’s a CNN article about how complicated the wall is in TX. I chatted with one of the people talked about in the article – the owner of Jose Falcons. Her English was way better than my Spanish, but we chatted a little in each. Very nice woman and she appreciated the visit and my interest in this town. “It’d be a shame if anything happened to it”. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

8 Likes

I’m tempted to say that the one saving grace here might be that Trump himself doesn’t know this and lacks the attention span, and the time, to go and find petty ways like this to “retaliate”. And under different circumstances I might have hope that cooler heads who take the long view would stand in the way of such pettiness.

But given the resignations in the State Department I wouldn’t count on it.

4 Likes

I sometimes get flustered with the reply buttons. Mea Culpa.

1 Like

We live in a fucked up world when reporting facts has officially become “going rogue”.

5 Likes

From a Facebook friend who was very involved with Occupy Wall Street:

This is an unattributed cut-and-paste, so use appropriate grans of salt… but yikes.
From an EPA staffer:
“I work at the EPA, and yeah, it’s as bad as you are hearing:
The entire agency is under lockdown – the website, Facebook, Twitter, you name it, is static and can’t be updated. All reports, findings, permits and studies are frozen and not to be released. No presentations or meetings with outside groups are to be scheduled.
Any press contacting us are to be directed to the Press Office, which is also silenced and will give no response.
All grants and contracts are frozen, from the contractors working on Superfund sites, to graduate students working on their thesis.
We are still doing our work, writing reports, doing cancer modeling for pesticides, hoping that this is temporary and we will be able to serve the public soon. But many of us are worried about an ideologically-fueled purging, and if you use any federal data I advise you gather what you can now.
We have been told the website is being reworked to reflect the new administration’s policy.
Feel free to copy and paste – you all pay for the government and you should know what’s going on. I am posting this as a fellow citizen and not in any sort of official capacity.”

13 Likes

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/1314fbdaa3cb4995a5e72ed7e77db88c/official-trump-wants-slash-epa-workforce-budget?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

5 Likes