EA to brick Tetris phone app

I remember a review from around when the “T-spin” was introduced (it might have been a GBA version?) wherein the author insisted that it absolutely broke the game completely. It later became part of the “Tetris standard”.

the history of the tetris ip is insane and ea bricking a version of it for no reason is just another little example of the myriad of ways tetris has been abused by the people who “own” it.

When I installed this game years ago, I was greeted with this screen:

So yeah, more shitty behaviour from EA doesn’t surprise me.

3 Likes

Grindstone is part of Apple Arcade subscription which is why it has an online requorement. It may later release a Steam version or rotate off like Sayonara Wild Hearts. Both games got nods on best games of 2019 lists.

My vote is that EA pulled this maneuver in the hopes to twist Tetris Company’s arm to extend their license, especially because the next licensee isn’t ready with a new game yet. They have until April to call their bluff.

Other Apple Arcade games run fine without an internet connection (presumably it will use cached credentials for a certain period of time), so the issue is Grindstone itself. But yeah, a similar argument applies to Apple Arcade overall – the games are rented, not bought.

From the article: “We are changing our systems so that in the future we will not remove books from customers’ devices in these circumstances,”

I remember reading about this when it happened (on BB), and it got me wondering - do we know if they stuck to that “promise” to not do this again? I don’t recall other instances of Amazon doing this, but given we live life at a speed of hundreds of outrages a minute I could have missed it.

1 Like

Dunno. But, regardless, their ability to do so lies but one un-notified EULA change away.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing, I have less issues with Apple Arcade and other similar services (Play Pass, XBox Game Pass, PS Now), since you are EXPLICITLY renting. There’s no question of ownership, it doesn’t look like ownership. There’s no bait and switch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.