Eating chicken at Subway? Beware!

What’s in your chicken sandwich? DNA test shows Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken.

A DNA analysis of the poultry in several popular grilled chicken sandwiches and wraps found at least one fast food restaurant isn’t serving up nearly as much of the key ingredient as people may think.

In the case of two popular Subway sandwiches, the chicken was found to contain only about half chicken DNA.

Okay, I was going to be grossed out, but the rest of the DNA is soy. So, for me at least, that seems like a net positive

4 Likes

The other 50% might be Edward G. Robinson.

6 Likes

However diners were not concerned since the other 50% tasted like chicken.

8 Likes

Scene: Subway restaurant in retro future alternate timeline.

Charlton Heston bursts in ranting

“SUBWAY CHICKEN IS SOYLENT GREEN!”

He then proceeds to practice his 2A rights and ends up leaving with a 12" Meatball Sub.

2 Likes

The only concern I have here is people who have soy allergies. Subway (and others) need to make it clear so people can decide whether or not to eat it.

1 Like

If you’re the type of person who eats canned pasta (beefaroni, ravioli), you’re already used to eating soy meat. Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is pretty tasty, too. And it’s everywhere in processed food.

6 Likes

But it tastes like chicken, right?

3 Likes

It’s not particularly gross as ingredient substitutions go; but as a matter of truth-in-advertising/fraud/etc. anyone calling something ‘chicken’ when it is 50% textured-protein-filler-even-cheaper-than-chicken needs to be converted into textured protein filler.

It’s like the old cellulse in the ‘parmesan’ issue: no, a little cellulose as an anti-caking agent isn’t an issue; but the more you sneak in, the more dishonest your attempt to pass off cheap filler as more valuable product becomes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.