First lab-grown chicken nuggets on restaurant menu

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/07/first-lab-grown-chicken-nuggets-on-restaurant-menu.html

4 Likes

I have questions about this. They got regulatory approval while using the traditional fetal calf serum-based growth medium, and claim they subsequently worked out a plant-based growth medium (which they have yet to scale up to mass production), which would be huge if true. But maybe not so huge, as the product will mix the grown chicken tissue with plant-based materials (I’m guessing lots and lots of soy products), so it’s possible the amount of actual lab-grown chicken in the final product will be vanishingly small.

5 Likes

3 Likes

I am going to eat me some of that the minute it is on the US market.

8 Likes

Getting the production cost down then expanding to any animal protein will be one of the biggest methods to help our environment…

3 Likes

That’s fine, though. If it looks, tastes, and smells like chicken (and has a reasonably similar nutritional profile) nobody will actually care. Especially in nuggets where it’s all ground up, anyway.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s totally fine, but it indicates this may be more of a false start than a first step in real vat-grown meat. Also it raises the question, if it turns out to be almost entirely soy (or whatever) - why bother to add vat-chicken at all? (Besides being able to say you have, or being able to have a huge mark-up on soy nuggets.)

3 Likes

I mean, chicken nuggets don’t look, taste, or smell like chicken as it stands now, and the nutritional profile can’t be much worse. I’m 100% game for giving these a shot if/when they are available.

5 Likes

chicken-nuggets-gif-1

8 Likes

Next, the cultured chicken heart that devoured Des Moines. Video at 11.

1 Like

Whether or not it helps the environment will depend on what sort of industrial resources are required to produce it in the factory, vs what a barn full of industrial raised chickens requires.

3 Likes

I’m hopeful teams of smart people can figure it out. I would prefer that the near-future consumable meat products will be provided this way and no longer through our current methods.

1 Like

Dad’s folks had a small suburban chicken ranch. We ate Grandma’s fried chicken every Sunday. Grandma did not pervert her fare into nuggets, which I fear are an alien concoction foisted on Earthlings by the Galactic Federation aka the Space Brothers. Beware.

1 Like

“Yes, Soylent Green is people-flesh; but it is vat grown people-flesh.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.