eBay's marketplace of "haunted" crap

[Read the post]

Iā€™m pretty sure that this place is haunted:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been noticing this ā€œHaunted Ebayā€ trend for a long time with some interest.

Itā€™s opportunistic and exploitative, true. But it also rewards people that can tell a good yarn.

Also related, thereā€™s been a number of wedding dress auctions to have gone viral with some crazed back story about a man wronged by his ex-wife, so he poses himself in the (awful) dress in order to sell something beloved of hers.

Pretttttyyy sure after the first time, those same people were paying attention. Although a rash of crossdressing brides would probably set off peopleā€™s BS detectors quite a bit more than ā€˜Hauntedā€™ items. I am guessing thatā€™s why it never caught on as a thing.

2 Likes

Many of the items even come packed in ā€œghost turdsā€. They can haunt your flat for years!

7 Likes

The question is how much should we protect people who actively choose to be stupid?

1 Like

Well that all sounds completely legit.

1 Like

While weā€™re sharing tips, ā€œquack medicineā€ is also a very fun zone on eBay.

3 Likes

In much the same way that flat-pack furniture gives one the satisfaction of having ā€œbuiltā€ something oneself, performing the exorcism yourself is so much more satisfying than buying mass-manufactured ghost-free items from the store.

3 Likes

Say what you will, but the haunted toilet I bought scares the shit out of me!

3 Likes

At leas those auctions usually admit itā€™s quack medicine and therefore wonā€™t do much.

That reminds me. Last night at the pharmacy I found this little gem in a ā€œfolk medicineā€ display:

Literally Snakeoil. I nudged one of the shelf stockers, and had to ask ā€œdid you know you sell snakeoil here?ā€ and pointed out the jar. He shrugged and nonchalantly replied ā€œwe also sell homeopathic wart remover, and powerbalance bracelets. If the store manager could refuse to sell what corporate tells us, then we wouldnā€™t sell that crap.ā€

4 Likes

Also known as ā€œangel shit.ā€

3 Likes

I should open an ebay store to sell certified PKE meters so that people can do a scientific test on allegedly haunted items instead of relying on dodgy subjective descriptions.
Seems like there is already a strong market for woo-metering.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=scientology%20e-meter&mfe=search

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.