Eclipse 2024

23 Likes

Aw, poor Australia!

5 Likes

Quit beating yrself up! That’s a marvellous photograph!

11 Likes

There another type called the “forgot to take the solar filter off during totality” shot. I got a couple of those in 2017

10 Likes

20 Likes

Yikes. That’s really upsetting, actually.

8 Likes

I’m really grateful to the teachers and staff at the kid’s school. They took their duty seriously and watched the kids like hawks.

12 Likes

I did not get a picture of this but a couple people in our group took a 360 panorama during totality.

We were in a relatively flat area, we were not expecting a 360 degree sunset. It was really cool.

Here’s my amateur set up between shots.

18 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

YARN | Nope, you're lookin' at balls. | Arrested Development ...

20 Likes

“that’s nuts!”
sorry to be so obvious. low hanging fruit and all that.

16 Likes

Just saw this on tumblr and it’s much too good to keep to m’self!

discovr-beauty

One of the best shots of the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024

A clear view of the corona sun.

JWST ● Hubble ● NASA Missions & Astronomical Discoveries.

Thanks, @Murgatroyd ! Accuracy is always of th’ utmost importance.

10 Likes

Probably not the JWST, actually…

Apparently, the JWST actually can’t look at the sun because that would damage many of its instruments.

11 Likes
12 Likes

moreover,

Even on Earth, the diversity of eclipses familiar to people today is a temporary (on a geological time scale) phenomenon. Hundreds of millions of years in the past, the Moon was closer to Earth and therefore apparently larger, so every solar eclipse was total or partial, and there were no annular eclipses … Millions of years in the future, the Moon will be too far away to fully occlude the Sun, and no total eclipses will occur.

8 Likes

That’s the whole reason for the solar shield; to block the sun from impinging upon the instruments

6 Likes
12 Likes

This is from my local astronomy forum, about an eclipse long ago. And eclipse safety.

In Zambia in 2001, I was in a village of 800 people. I’d been working with school teachers for a couple of weeks, using the children to push out safe observing information to their families. On eclipse day, most of the local population came into the school. One very self-confident & older man, came up to me and was basically mocking and laughing at me and could not understand why I was traveling half way around the world to look at the sun. I asked him if instead of discussing it then, if he would come back and see me after the eclipse and we would talk about it after he’d seen the eclipse. He did return after the eclipse. Tears were streaming down his cheeks. He shook my hand, his hands were still trembling, as he thanked me for helping the village to watch the eclipse safely.

9 Likes

Clearly, Earth needs more and larger Moons, stat.
Asteroid 2016 HO3 is cute, but just doesn’t cut it, eclipse-wise.

7 Likes