Economist removed from plane for Algebra, flight delayed 1.5 hours

Those are reserved for the holy accounting of 31 day months as the Lord intended!

8 Likes

In fairness, airlines do have reason to fear economists. Perhaps he was removed for job security.

6 Likes

The idiots have won, because nobody is getting sacked over this kind of thing.

7 Likes

Tsk tsk.

On the Internet, no-one knows youā€™re a dog etc., but as it happens half my family are those ā€œbrownā€ Europeans of which you speak (shudder. Racism sucks so much.) Iā€™ve been getting weird questions and assumptions from people my entire life.

But, because itā€™s only half my family and I inherited the other halfā€™s skin tone, Iā€™ve also had to sit through explanations like yours my entire life. It depends on whether someone thinks Iā€™m a light-skinned ā€œone of thoseā€ or a darkish ā€œone of those otherā€. Which seems to mean I get told I couldnā€™t possibly understand twice as often.

So when I say the writing had something to do with it, Iā€™m speaking from the experience of over four decades of dealing with travel in the US. The weirdness changed type and intensity after 9/11, but itā€™s always been there. Iā€™ve had to give customs officials (and assorted non-official nosy parkers) a quick rundown of my genealogy so often, I have a set speech.

If it were just the brown-ness, Mediterranean-descended travellers would be making headlines a lot more often.

19 Likes

Stay safe! You are on the right track.

Also, maybe it was one of those secret prime numbers he was working on, and the FBI was justified in getting involved.

5 Likes

There is evidence that innately human beings canā€™t perceive quantities greater than 3 - number systems were invented to make counting possible. This is part of the explanation of why many Indo-European languages have short numbers for 1-3 and a long one for 4 (e.g. quattuor, tettares).

At this rate the general public will soon be back to one, two, three, heap, many.

5 Likes

Fox news viewers. To be fair they are TOLD to be afraid of everything, it is a fear based way of convincing the lesser educated to vote against their own interests. I agree it seems strange to rational folks, like the ones that know math. :slight_smile:

That canā€™t be right can it? I I I I I

4 Likes

But that curve on the left was clearly part of a parabola. And any fule kno that parabolas iz ordnance, rite?

4 Likes

Wonder if she went to the cabin crew and said, Look at that man over there. How he looks and what heā€™s doing. Something doesnā€™t add up."

7 Likes

Zenophobia means never reaching your destination.

24 Likes

An economist using mathematics! Youā€™re calling that harmless?! Thatā€™s a weapon of mass destruction thatā€™s been used on a scale that dwarfs most everything else in the havoc its brought!

Ah, you meant for the flight

8 Likes

There is no need for hyperbole.

11 Likes

Seems to be true for dogs. Why would humans be any different?

2 Likes

#notalldogs

33 Likes

I must share a story. At work one day a few of us were making plans for lunch. The oik among us (Bob) was blabbering about racism. He implied he was a victim. He turned to Shaun and said, ā€œBut you know all about that, being black.ā€ There was a pause. I turned to Shaun. Looked him over. I asked, ā€œAre you black?ā€ He turned to me and replied, ā€œUh ā€¦ I donā€™t know. I donā€™t think so. But itā€™s possible.ā€ We both shrugged. We turned to Bob. I said, ā€œYouā€™re on your own for lunch.ā€ Shaun and I left.

To Bob, who is and who is not ā€œblackā€ is critically important. To Shaun and I, who is and who is not ā€œfriendā€ is critically important. I assume you have had similar experiences. You have my sympathy.

19 Likes

I thought that an ā€œalgorithmā€ was something likeā€¦

8 Likes

Yes, I didnā€™t put it very well. What I mean is, without actually being taught arithmetic, humans cannot compare the order of sets with 4 or more elements (except by a process of 1-1 comparison which itself is learnt.)
Jackdaws can do better. But then birds have better eyesight than primates, with 4 or more types of color receptor and a wider bandwidth.
Where we win is our ability to learn and transmit knowledge, so we can address the one by inventing arithmetic and passing it on, and the other by building instruments. However, reading articles like this, I become more and more doubtful about the ā€œlearn and transmit knowledgeā€ in some cases.

5 Likes

I may already have recounted this, I lose track. But:

One day a few of us were going from Hendon to Lords, and we took a taxi. In the group was the captain of the MCC Under-21 team and his Pakistani opposite number. On the way there the taxi driver started on a rant about how the Pakis were coming over here taking over everything, and three of us were exchanging eye signals of the ā€œdo we stop him and get out, now?ā€ But we didnā€™t.
We got to St. Johnā€™s Wood. And while we were paying, the taxi driver said to our Pakistani friend [in effect - I canā€™t remember the literal words] ā€œSorry if I got a bit carried away there, but you see itā€™s all right for people like you, you donā€™t have to live next to them.ā€
Our Pakistani friend had to sit down because he was laughing so hard. But I think it adds to your point. Not only are racists racist, but if someone doesnā€™t conform to their stereotype they donā€™t even recognise them as belonging to it. On the one hand someone who canā€™t tell Italians from Arabs, on the other someone who canā€™t identify a Pakistani in Western clothes.

20 Likes

Rhythm??? The manā€™s flow is terrible. He should really stick to DJing.

5 Likes

Only if they look too stringy.

2 Likes