Eddie Izzard reveals her newly adopted name on podcast

How is she still alive? She’s not from Krypton; is she?

9 Likes

As I recall, she actually had to miss a day, so made up for it by doing two the next day. Perhaps she’s made of liquid metal?

12 Likes

She had some scares with rhabdomyolysis ( too much muscle damage makes your kidneys say fuck this, we’re shutting down), it can be fatal, so while that is as inspirational as hell, don’t try this at home, kids.

4 Likes

Anyway, the song stuck in my head right now is raspberry beret.

6 Likes

I’ve always loved Izzard. I thought her work was always brilliant and a cut above in the wit department. She also has explored the concept of comedy by doing shows in multiple languages, making her a sort of comedic scholar IMO. (I have done some translation in HS, and to translate poetry to make it make sense is a challenge, I can’t imaging translating jokes to make them funny.)

She definitely paved the way for the modern movement by presenting as a guy who likes guy stuff, but also wants to wear dresses. “Executive Transvestite”. I haven’t followed all of Izzard’s life details on whether she considered herself transgender, or herself gender fluid. I know she has roles she presents as a man, and others, like her comedy, as a woman. I think from her stand up bits, she has just wanted to be seen as valid person ( I didn’t tell the kids at school I was a transvestite because I was afraid they’d kill me with sticks or something. “Why?” “I don’t know. He said word we didn’t understand.”) And if Suzy fits her better, than I’m all for the next Suzy Izzard stand up special.

3 Likes

Gender fluid is transgender, unless a gender fluid person says that they personally aren’t transgender. It’s an opt-out system.

Transgender is potentially everyone who is not cisgender (people whose gender identity and assigned gender match).

12 Likes

Where does that put intersex people who were operated on as babies and thus have no memory of ever being any other gender than the one they’ve grown up as?

5 Likes

Maybe:
Cisgender: if the person’s gender matches the gender they were assigned at birth, and for which the operations were performed to make them conform

Transgender: if the person’s gender does not match the gender they were assigned at birth and for which the operations were performed to make them conform

But I am far from an expert. Mostly seems to me a matter of listening to what a particular person wants. Everyone is who they are, but they get to choose the words that express their reality

2 Likes

Intersex is usually considered to be outside cis/transgender, but there do seem to be a higher than average amount of trans people who find out they are intersex when they start getting medical treatment. This is without taking into account the hypothesis that gender dysphoria is itself an intersex condition.

11 Likes

Great name, Suzie!

My mom was nicknamed Susi when she was young because where she was from, that was a common name for the runt of the litter - she was born like seven years after her youngest brother, and was a bit of a surprise at that point.

Anyway, good for Suzy Eddie Izzard!

4 Likes

How serendipitous. I saw her live a couple years back and picked up her autobiography. I just grabbed it off the to-read pile and took it to the office for lunchtime reading. She’s a treasure.

3 Likes

Really? My wife is the youngest in her family and her nickname was Susie. I wonder if thats why.

(Montana)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.