US sues Edward Snowden, 'Permanent Record' violates NDAs 'signed with CIA & NSA' says Justice Department

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/17/edward-snowden-sued-by-u-s.html

3 Likes

Because the leaks themselves didn’t violate the NDA?

I wish I could find the article but I kinda care less about him after learning he was happy and fine with the excessive snooping when it was Bush doing it but then for some reason got upset about Obama using it… yeah no.

9 Likes

well, he didn’t make any money from the leaks. If the US gov can’t arrest him, they will sure as heck make every effort to make his life as uncomfortable as possible.

5 Likes

You say “potato”, our division of lawyers may or may not say “poh-tah-to”. Also, the previous statement should in no way be indicative of the existence of said “poh-tah-to”.

4 Likes

So what they’re saying is, in effect, “buy this book ASAP before the publisher gets slapped with a cease-and-desist”.

Streisand laughed…

5 Likes

Given that he’s living in Russia, “the CIA is even more mad at me” would make him more popular there

1 Like

It’s a joke, right?

tenor

1 Like

Assistant U.S. Attorney R. Trent McCotter wrote that the alleged violation of nondisclosure agreements Snowden signed with the two agencies undermines public trust in the federal government and endangers national security.

Of course, its not the actions of the government that undermine trust and endanger national security, it’s making people aware of those actions that cause the harm.

Id love to see a judge rub their noses in the hypocrisy, but all they ever need do is invoke the magic words, “national security” and the judiciary rolls over.

14 Likes

Since Snowden is not going to return to the US to defend this lawsuit, I imagine the judge will summarily find in favor of the plaintiff, so all proceeds will accrue to the government. If ever there was a good reason to bootleg a copy of a book, this is it.

1 Like

Are you forgetting which timeline we’re in?

7 Likes

The “wer zuletzt lacht, lacht am längsten”* timeline, as far as anyone can see. Anywhere the wind blows. Doesn’t really matter.

Who laughs last, laughs the longest. Really looses something in translation to English, at least for someone who’s first language is the language of Goethe and Goebbels (just to name two who had quite an influence on it).

4 Likes

The last guy I’m aware of who got sued by the government for publishing without permission like this lost on summary judgement despite fighting it, and he had a stronger case.

So… buy a physical copy of the book because Amazon is going to be forced to pull all the electronic copies.

3 Likes

One I wish I weren’t in.

8 Likes

You, me, and lots of the fine folks here…

8 Likes

The government’s suit targets Snowden and his breach of contract and doesn’t affect publication or distribution of the book. The publishers are included as defendants solely to prevent them from transfering any profits to Snowden.

1 Like

Your timeline doesnt seem correct. He was 17 years old when Bush was elected. He worked for intelligence services for nearly 5 years during Obama’s administration.

2 Likes

The US government could seize royalties from the book but the substantial advance has already been banked.

2 Likes

Where’s my freakin’ portal gun, Morty. Leavin’ this shit in another universe.

rick-and-morty-use-ricks-portal-gun-to-escape-enemies

2 Likes

That worked so well for Maggie :laughing:

4 Likes