Effective counter-protest

It’s also, despite whatever good it does, a useful scapegoat for demonizing “the left.” :unamused:

5 Likes

I should also point out that revleft will ban liberals from commenting on the whole forum other than Opposing Ideologies, not just the antifascist section.

2 Likes

Oh, I can just imagine the fascist snowflakes complaining about that being aggressive and violent rhetoric.

So we’ll have to figure out how to deal with that.

I’d say mocking them for getting so butthurt and being so sensitive would sting them, but of course we libruls are supposed to be “all inclusive”. It’s always so surreal when hateful bigots try to appeal to our better nature to try and allow their evil.

2 Likes

I suspect the only reason you hadn’t heard of them is that they were never really thrust into the national spotlight until Charlottesville. In reality they’ve been a prominent part of almost every march or protest leading up to and since the election. Their actions were always translated into the intentions of the larger groups, or lost in the significance of the thing. I marched beside them in November, then after inauguration day, and then the women’s march. They’ve always been there.

4 Likes

Right on. Thanks, I don’t protest as much as I used to. I’ve been starting to hear (from my comfy chair here) that term used in the same way ‘alt-left’ got spawned. They’re getting a lot more press lately, I think it’s in everyones best interest to keep the nuance about who they are and who aren’t them - clear. I don’t wish to demonize them, but I do not personally find their tactics inspiring, and as @milliefink noted, too easy a scapegoat.

The free non-violent protest trainings that keep going on, those are inspiring to me.

1 Like

Hey, no worries. It seemed like they were always the ones associating with the anarchists, who would march just for the excuse to be destructive, and I guess that tainted their image for me, until I realized that more importantly, they’re the ones who won’t hesitate to fight in defense of the more peaceful protesters

5 Likes

Most of the anarchists don’t like the anarkiddies who are only there for violence either. Sadly insurrectionary anarchism isn’t as discredited as it should be, so there will always be a few supporters.

3 Likes

The fascists are going to do that no matter what the left does.

8 Likes

Yup:

10 Likes

Too true. The promulgators of claims about “fake news” are doing what they claim others do, yet again. And so many people are going to believe that shit.

7 Likes

Most of the propaganda is aimed inwards; Trumpeters reading Breitbart, establishment Dems watching Maddow, etc.

It isn’t targeted at convincing the opposition, it’s targeted at maintaining control of the base. Radio Télévision Libre des Mille Collines rather than Lord Haw-Haw.

3 Likes

I remember everyone laughing at a 55 gallon drum of lube on Amazon years ago. I remember at some point, I went back to look at it again and was amazed to see they’d sold out. Now we know why!

5 Likes

Rachel Maddow is no propagandist. She’s not a Democrat first, limited imaginations aside.

(and I appreciate the clarification to the comment above which had equated Maddow (a professional person) and Breitbart (a company of ratfuckers) as equals - and their tactics as equivalent)

Maddow is actually pretty good counter protest material.

She cites her sources, owns her bias, calls her own ‘side’ to account when they’re out of line and making stuff up, and issues corrections when she is wrong. She is a lot of what is still right in American journalism. I happen to find her one of the more inspiring media personalities - in no small part for her hopefulness.

4 Likes

Kazoos can be had for as little as one penny when bought in bulk. Imagine a kazoo marching band several thousand strong. Of course, Sousaphones and other instruments would be welcome to join.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.