The Washington Times demonstrates how to fake an Antifa attack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/08/the-washington-times-demonstrates-how-to-fake-an-antifa-attack.html

10 Likes

The only reason why they want it to be Antifa is because it failed.

22 Likes

What a shitshow. I’m hoping some of these white supremacist terrorist organizations will start to implode under the strain of their most notorious members/leaders getting scapegoated as “antifa”.

25 Likes

Matt Gaetz (R-FL) pushed this XRVISION story on the floor of Congress, so it goes on record. This was AFTER the company had disavowed the story. As far as I know, Gaetz has not recanted his remarks.

25 Likes

What a perfect ouroboros of bullshit. And yet, it works.

Even Wikipedia generally manages to catch citations that turn out to be referencing Wikipedia nowadays.

9 Likes

The “Antifa comrades, disguise yourself on Nov 4 to fool the patriots!” thing has been floating around for years and pretty thoroughly debunked. Not that anyone here was in danger of taking it seriously.

10 Likes

I’m still working from my office in DC a few blocks from the chaos and I had to drive past the insurrectionist riots in the morning and that evening. They definitely were not antifa. As a matter of fact there weren’t any counter protesters because Bowser asked us all to stay home. I appreciate the circular logic though. It’s a very creative attempt to “flip the script” as it’s said.

I’d like to point out that it’s painfully obvious that the capital police were woefully understaffed given the circumstances and suspiciously appear to have been asked to “stand down”. I look forward to the investigations.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure they said the same thing about the Charlottesville racist thugs. Must have been that decentralized group that has no leader or specific agenda. Yep yep. /s

2 Likes

Yeah, but now everyone can counter the social media rhetoric with the retractions and prove they were lying. And it will work, too!!!

/s

soros

22 Likes

It’s kind of amazing that they think there’s this huge all-powerful conspiracy, but with opsec bad enough to publish a pamphlet about their secret plans… It’s good ol’ fascism, of course; the enemy is both strong and weak.

11 Likes

Once you accept that war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, and racism is economic anxiety, it makes perfect sense that anti-fascists would show up in support of Trump with Maga hats, Confederate flags, Auschwitz shirts, and other fascist paraphernalia.

13 Likes

I think its amazing that fascists continue to blame fascist activities on anti-fascists. Anyone with a single brain cell can see why that’s contradictory.

3 Likes

Too late. Too many Trumptards are already claiming it was Antifa. Antifa is the new boogeyman!

“Eat all your peas, or the Antifa will nibble your toes at night!”

“Goddamn car won’t start. Must be Antifa!”

“Someone tore down my Nazi flag!” “Antifaaaa!!!”

(That last one might be true.)

16 Likes

The MAGA-cult planned violence for weeks online, in plain sight, they made shirts saying “MAGA Civil War Jan. 6th, 2021” that they wore to the riot, the president and Giuliani encouraged them to “fight” using the term “trial by combat” which means exactly what it says, and all the prime actors in this event are known MAGA/QAnon cultists.

But yeah, “Antifa.”

19 Likes

I mean the Proud Boys basically issued a press release saying they would be disguising themselves as Antifa so the left could be blamed.

And we know for a fact the same was done at the BLM protests. With the perpetrators of the Police Station arson that practically everyone on the right pointed to as proof of left wing violence turning out to be well known leadership of right wing militia groups.

This is just that particular football getting fumbled. They’re trying to make that the story even though the attempt already failed.

13 Likes

Are these people really so myopic in their delusions that they believe antifa calls trump supporters “patriots”?

20 Likes

This article missed the most bizarre twist in the Washington Times article:

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that XRVision facial recognition software identified Antifa members among rioters who stormed the Capitol Wednesday. XRVision did not identify any Antifa members. The Washington Times apologizes to XRVision for the error.

Facial recognition software has identified neo-Nazis and other extremists as participants in Wednesday’s assault on the U.S. Capitol.

6 Likes

Soooo pretty clear they’re at least ashamed about what happened if they’re trying to blame it on false flag stuff.

So can we get, on record, all of these people claiming that it’s Antifa to just absolutely smash all the people inside the Capitol? That they’re traitors, agitators, human trash piles, criminals, assholes, etc?

And then take that over to Parler and see what they have to say about that? 'Cuz the insurrectionist caucus is already none-too-pleased to see their masters aren’t Jack Nicholson-nod-meming along to their “freedom fighting.”

2 Likes

“A perfect ouroboros of bullshit” might be one of my favourite perfectly-apt phrases of the year.

6 Likes