Manhattan DA served Google with a "reverse search warrant" in a bid to prosecute antifa protesters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/proud-nazis.html

6 Likes

Going to a demonstration?
Get a burner phone or,
don’t carry one.

31 Likes

or turn it off

13 Likes

tenor

UNO!

13 Likes

This obsession with Antifa is so bonkers. Even at their worst they are a REACTIVE movement; you get rid of the white supremacists and they go away.

66 Likes

But there is so much more money to be made in fixing the symptoms than curing the disease.

20 Likes

I wish they would give it up or rebrand. They’re the least part of a much larger movement that is trying to accomplish good things. They’ve given the Right a perfect straw man, and now all the news is about thugs fighting it out in the street, instead of the very important issues that need to get fixed.

7 Likes

If they were only attacking white supremacists, you might have a point. But I live in Portland and they attack indiscriminately here, just like any mob.

1 Like

“Off” isn’t really off with a lot of phones.

17 Likes

@SpeedRacer @anon27007144

I see it as a macrocosm of the “lax parenting” method in which a parent wades into a knock-down, drag-out fight between the kids by punishing everyone, especially the ones who “know better” but who are simply defending themselves/standing up to a bully child. The parent wants peace and tranquility, but doesn’t bother to look hard enough at the cause, often because they cherish the problem child too much – in this case, the Proud Boys who facilitate toxic masculinity and white supremacy.

29 Likes

ok - turn it off and pop your sim card out.

5 Likes

If you must keep it on you, I’d say pull the battery over the sim card.If you want a device for documenting police actions though, the burner phone is probably the overall best option.

15 Likes

I thought you all had a constitutional amendment outlawing general warrants?

8 Likes

Remember Black Lives Matter?

Anybody who is explicitly against white supremacy in public will be targeted like this. Fox News will say all the same bad stuff about them. It doesn’t matter how they dress or what they call themselves.

41 Likes

Intimidating and cracking down on protesters?

Thanks for the great example, America.

17 Likes

Christ, what a 1% asshole Vance is.

5 Likes

please tell us about the last time “antifa” beat you up

39 Likes

37 Likes

As I’ve argued on BB before, I don’t need to personally be attacked or “beat up” to see the damage done in Portland. I’m smart enough to stay away from downtown when there is a protest. I don’t have a hankering to see bloodshed in person.

But answer this: does smashing a window stop white supremacy? Does throwing bottles? Spraying pepper spray into a crowd? Hitting self-described liberals with batons because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? Does blocking traffic and hitting cars and scaring random drivers push forward the cause?

(And, as a corollary, do these behaviors from the far right really convince anyone to join their side? Maybe a few, but I think most intelligent people just see them as idiots acting like idiots.)

The anti-Proud Boys stance is valid, but it is used as an excuse by too many Antifa members to cause general chaos. Most of the people hurt or inconvenienced in our city have nothing to do with the alt-right. And I have a sneaking suspicion that many people who claim to be Antifa here are just anarchists who enjoy sowing chaos.

10 Likes

Do you have your list written up already about all the bad things they’ll do on Saturday?

20 Likes