EL CHAPO GUILTY: Mexican drug lord Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman CONVICTED in U.S. trial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/12/el-chapo-guzman-verdict.html

Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman is convicted in Brooklyn, could put him behind bars for the rest of his life in a high-security prison.

6 Likes

so like, this means he’s guilty?
Justice is slow
I wonder what Muller’s doing

2 Likes

Soooooo, by US standards, we’re looking at what? 3 years with good behavior? /s

3 Likes

A shout out to the citizens who served on that jury for $50 (or whatever) a day!

2 Likes

why are the soldiers dressed in blackface?

2 Likes

Net worth
U.S. $4 billion (2016 estimate)

2001 (Prior to 2014 incarceration)
Escaped
1st escape: 19 January 2001
2nd escape: 11 July 2015

Assuming he’s got a chunk of that money still available; I expect a movie level escape plot sometime in the next few years. Not saying it’ll be successful; but that buys a lot of helicopters and guards.

2 Likes

Florence ADX has a reputation for being an “escape proof” and rather brutal prison.

1 Like

That’s not all, he’s probably looking at a fine of millions!

1 Like

I don’t doubt that - still:

1st escape - 78 people bought off - $2.5 million spent

2nd escape:

It was discovered he had escaped through a tunnel leading from the shower area to a house construction site 1.5 km (0.93 mi) away in a Santa Juanita neighborhood.[195][196] The tunnel lay 10 m (33 ft) deep underground, and Guzmán used a ladder to climb to the bottom. The tunnel was 1.7 m (5 ft 7 in) tall and 75 cm (30 in) in width. It was equipped with artificial light, air ducts, and high-quality construction materials.[192] In addition, a motorcycle was found in the tunnel, which authorities think was used to transport materials and possibly Guzmán himself.[197][198] Although guards discovered that Guzmán had escaped at 21:22 hours, a “red alert”, which locks down the prison and alerts a nearby military garrison, was only activated at midnight.[199]

He has skills.

6 Likes

The one thing I would have liked to be able to do was sleep. But I had this monstrous insomnia. I just couldn’t sleep. I’d lie there all night, for ten years, not being able to sleep, and by the end I had this sleep deprivation that was absolutely monstrous. The cell just became my world and I couldn’t get out of it, not even into sleep.

It’s so claustrophobic in there. I know claustrophobia is a condition, but I think that place was claustrophobic. It got to the point where absolutely anything that changed, like if I saw snow falling outside, was what allowed me to survive.

3 Likes

Look, justice isn’t Youtube; you can’t speed it up or change the channel when it gets boring. Well, you can change the channel, but it’ll be merely another flavor of “wheels-slowly-grinding”.

he’s gonna need a longer tunnel

I wonder how many hours over how many days the jury deliberated.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.