El Santo: the Mexican wrestling superhero

Originally published at: El Santo: the Mexican wrestling superhero | Boing Boing

9 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

5 Likes

Just about to post the same friggin thing, nice one.

3 Likes

The local independent broadcast station used to show these after hours when I was a kid. As goes the majesty of Mexican Wrestling. Even though these are dirt cheap B movies from the 60’s, the fight choreography is always great.

I once dressed as an after hours El Santo for Halloween. With Tweed Jacket, white pants and Chelsea boots. And wandering around NYC on Halloween it turned into a thing. I ran into a group of young Mexican guys wearing masks from their favorite Luchas, including one guy wearing an El Hijo del Santo mask. His friend stood up on a trash can and shouted “He is your SON!” and I had to pose for like 20 pictures with them. I ran into another couple guys dressed as Werewolves and had to take pictures with them.

And that kept happening. I did shots with the Blue Demon. I have never gotten that reaction out of a $10 Halloween costume before.

13 Likes

My best friend here in Tijuana told me he used to read the El Santo comic books when he was a kid.

Here’s some more factoids…

8 Likes

I hope Robert Rodriguez gets the rights to El Santo, and makes a series for Netflix.

5 Likes

I’ve seen a few Santo movies, but it’s hard to top anything with Dracula, time travel (with a time machine invented by professor Santo) and a full-length wrestling match.

9 Likes

I think it comes up short in the poster department.

6 Likes

It’s definitely last place on that list, but the others!

2 Likes

MST3K does a really great send-up of Santos vs the Vampire Women.

7 Likes

The Dr. Death poster is legitimately one of my favorite movie posters.

TV’s Frank’s last episode!

4 Likes

As much as I would love that, Santo was a real guy and a Mexican hero, so I doubt that would happen unless he cuts the family in.

However, El Santo did show up in Disney’s Coco.

9 Likes

Wrestling (across numerous countries) was part of several plots in Love & Rockets (for those unfamiliar with it). In this context, the wrestling isn’t staged (though cheating occurs).

I went to go refresh my memory about it and found this; didn’t know about the new book…

4 Likes

I like how El Santo’s mask is suddenly damaged, and then immediately repairs itself while he is catching up with Capt America.

I guess if one is going to go looking for “inspiration” for a poster, you might as well start with someone like Reynold Brown. :grin::+1:

2 Likes

@dnealy If you’re interested in the history of pro wrestling globally, this is an entertaining and well written graphic novel about it:

It includes a discussion of the One True Sport both in Mexico and Japan, though it is mostly focused on the US…

And I have not read this one, but it looks good too, though it’s more stories rather than a history… but it’s the great Jim Cornette, so, it’ll likely be entertaining…

I do have a copy of this waiting to be read, as well, and I think I might read it once I’m done with the book I’m currently reading (about the Troubles in Northern Ireland)…

Which is by this guy…

3 Likes

These will definitely be added to the collection on some Thanos shit.

Thanks for the heads up, brother man.

2 Likes

Sister woman, actually… I just happen to have my favorite local soccer player as my avatar, cause I love that picture of him… especially considering what a shitty season AU had for most of last year… sort of sums up 2020 and 2021 in fact…

But anyways, Vamos Josef!!!

celebrate josef martinez GIF by Atlanta United

5 Likes

One for the swipe files.

1 Like