Elaborate electronic fly trap

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/27/elaborate-electronic-fly-trap.html

3 Likes

“Elaborate Electronic Fly Trap”

That’s a band name, right?

11 Likes

Album names
Brown Sugar+Water
Sugar Syrup
Fish is the best

9 Likes

Fantastic :smiley:

Edit: Though, outside of “Kayleigh” I can’t think of much to support the assertion in that last album name.

1 Like

Apparently, “it also allows you to remove the fly trap box and clean, making it possible to clean up and recycle”.
Because the market in recycled flies is booming, right now. Booming, I tell you. I’m gonna corner the market, using these babies.

5 Likes

Mechanically Chopped Io Pieces
Canned Writhing Flies
Fly’s Sense of Smell

6 Likes

Are there any animals that prefer to eat live flies? Otherwise I don’t know what anyone’s going to do with a can full of them except kill them and toss them in the composter.

3 Likes

I would be hesitant to feed random flies to something else, i learned the hard way about this. An ex of mine had a pet tarantula and we always fed it store bought live bugs. The one time we caught a random insect and fed it to the spider we quickly discovered that it had traces of pesticides on it and it went blind. The tarantula died about a week later, it was really sad and we felt really terrible about it :c

9 Likes

Maybe they have a garden of carnivorous plants?

3 Likes

It seems too good to be true. Perhaps the bait is quickly depleted, or too easily swept up along with the flies. Or, more likely, it won’t help with the case where there’s only a couple of flies buzzing around, and in cases where there’s an infestation, it will work too slowly to make much of a dent.

What I’m saying is,
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
there’s probably a catch.

ETA: Did you know Abstruse Goose is back?
https://abstrusegoose.com/600

5 Likes

11 Likes
1 Like

The Roman Emperor Elagabalus needs one of these fills-jars-with-flies machines:

“[Elagabalus] … used to send to his parasites jars of frogs, scorpions, snakes, and any other such reptiles, as their yearly allowance of provisions, and he would shut up a vast number of flies in jars of this sort and call them tamed bees.”

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/e/roman/texts/historia_augusta/elagabalus/2*.html

3 Likes

This looks completely 3d printable. Seems I have a project.

Looks like Big Clive tried one out.

Found one.

4 Likes

I clicked on comments hoping for this. Not disappointed.

2 Likes

Sure, there’s tons of diptivores (a word I just made up, you’re welcome, world) including the delightfully named Tyrannidae or “Tyrant Flycatchers”.

I’m a little bummed about the USB power requirement. I’d like to set one near my compost (all the big fly attractants are buried, but the mulch covering attracts a smaller type of fly) or near my back wall where the neighbors set up and neglect what they deceptively call a “dog run.” Maybe I’ll set it up with a 5v USB solar panel.

USB like ion power packs are ubiquitous

2 Likes

Catch and release.
Endless fun!

3 Likes

Renfeild would love this…

3 Likes