Election Day or Stockholm Syndrome

I’ll be pleased if Ayotte loses. That’s my bellweather race.

2 Likes

Purchased a 24 of Sierra Nevada and it’s in the fridge, got 4 cases stashed (one ButtWeiper, two Marzen, then two-ish assorted), plenty of oatmeal and canned goods, whiskey galore, five gallons of homebrew I could drink in a horrible pinch as it’s not quite ready yet…in terms of alcohol etc., I’m ready.

Mentally? Hmmm. Less certain ground, there.

9 Likes

I’m sure Clinton’s detractors on the left will not agree, but we will probably be better off if Clinton takes the White House and if Democrats take the Senate than we would if Republicans kept the Senate and took the White House.

4 Likes

I’d say that’s the most likely scenario, but the fact is that the fewer the number of people who actually turn out to vote, and the larger the number of people that cast third party, independent, write-in, and protest votes, the more unpredictable things become.

I honestly anticipate a record number for both those things, so I feel like anything could happen.

2 Likes

Is that the dunderhead they had on morning edition? I’d have banged my head on a desk, but I was driving at the time.

6 Likes

Nope. It absolutely is a hostage situation.

Trump is the gun to our head and Clinton is the insistence that we won’t get hurt if we just cooperate.

12 Likes

On the one hand, my candidate isn’t on the ballot. On the other hand, it’s long past time we put a girl in charge. So, bob’s your uncle, time to check that one off the national bucket list.

ETA: that’s a lot of sarcasm there, as she’s quite qualified, and in that sense it’s nice that one of them is.

12 Likes

I’m going to go with hot buttered rum, myself. It’s like getting drunk from a warm blanket and fuzzy slippers.

16 Likes

I’ve always been a little weirded out by that expression because I actually do have an uncle named Bob.

It’s like, how did they know?

21 Likes

I live on the east side of the state but work across the border in Idaho. No matter who wins, Wednesday is going to be an… interesting day at the office.

8 Likes

I was realizing that tomorrow night might not be the best night to get a beer at the local dive bar.

11 Likes

Yep. You could practically hear the bowtie over the radio.

8 Likes

I groaned so loudly over his BS that the car in front of me thought I was honking my horn.

14 Likes

If Trump wins, I’ll feel like clawing my face off in sheer horror. If Hillary wins, I’ll feel relieved, then immediately remember she was the least worst option. So yeah, feeling like a hostage, and stress-nauseated.

I’ll always wonder if Trump’s lunacy would have given Bernie the cover to go all the way.

7 Likes

I see that mine was received and processed…

I guess that I can wear my sticker now

13 Likes

I haven’t checked for mine but @JemmieDuffs tells me the county is reporting like 80% of the ballots returned so far… 80 fucking percent! that is amazing.

OOOPS! that is 44% collected… nevermind. Still not bad for an early count.

8 Likes

Well that does include all the dead folks, who’ve voted three or four times apiece… oh wait, you’re not in Chicago, never mind! :wink:

I would find it very amusing if this fucked up election of these fucked up candidates in this fucked up year ends up breaking all the turnout records.

11 Likes

I don’t understand you guys; I’m walking in tomorrow and pulling a lever. (OK, just figuratively, though I do miss the lever machines.) The ritual is one of the best things about voting, even if you don’t like the candidates there is the satisfaction of the ceremony. I’ve never felt the same satisfaction when I’ve had to vote absentee. Plus, there’s the pleasure of meeting your neighbors at the voting place (though this is even better when caucusing).

8 Likes

Yep, like Drew Magary said. Trump doesn’t have a chance, and never did.

I’ll add to what he said. In 2012, Obama was as hated by the GOP as a person could be. They hated Obamacare, they hated the man, they hated everything he’d done and everything he might do. I would say that in 2012, after four years of his presidency, the right hated Obama just as much as they hate Hillary Clinton.

They fielded Mitt Romney, and really thought they had it in the bag. And they lost. It wasn’t even particularly close (Obama got 51.1% of the popular vote to Romney’s 47.2%; 332 electoral votes to 206).

And now, in 2016, they trotted out the best and brightest candidates they could find, just as determined to win as they were in 2012… and Trump was the most popular candidate they could scrounge up. Donald Trump: the single most unpopular and widely-loathed major candidate in presidential election history. Back in 2012, we didn’t see GOP elites (Congresscritters! Senators! ***Former presidents!!***) walking their support away from their own party’s candidate. In 2012, Romney/Ryan had the GOP electorate dutifully lined up behind their candidate against a despised opponent… and they still lost.

Where, exactly, are the voters going to come from who might push Trump over the top into 270 electoral votes? Do we seriously believe that there are more than a couple dozen 2012 Obama voters who would pick Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton? I mean, if you have the GOP in such a state that both Presidents Bush, Barbara Bush, Jeb Bush, Colin Powell, Mitt Romney, John Huntsman, Michael Steele, and Glenn Fucking Beck won’t vote for Trump and have said so publicly, where exactly is the danger going to come from? From the armies of basement-dwelling BernieBros who liked Obama just fine but think Hillary’s emails are beyond the pale?

Dudes. There are like seventeen of those nerds. They won’t make a lick of difference.

The state of the nation is not, I submit, a hell of a lot worse in 2016 than it was in 2012, at least not in any ways that can be plausibly pinned on Obama and/or Clinton. GDP is up, unemployment is down, marriage equality hasn’t brought down a rain of fire… all I’m saying is that if the GOP couldn’t pull this off in 2012, they never had a chance in 2016. Especially not if the best candidate they could field was Donald J-for-Jackoff Trump.

I’m gonna sleep like a baby tonight. Y’all will too, tomorrow night.

20 Likes

When I lived near work, I always voted in person, but now that it’s a real commute - permanent mail-in for me…

Edit: this is actually the first time that we have mailed them in… We usually drop them off at a convenient polling place.

5 Likes