Electrified samurai sword tested

Originally published at: Electrified samurai sword tested | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Needs more jetpacks

12 Likes

If you’re just going to zap somebody, use a regular metal rod instead of a nice, expensive sword.

7 Likes

In honor of Sonny Chiba passing, may you shine like a billion suns.

Kill Bill Samurai GIF

13 Likes

These have existed since “a long time ago.”

7 Likes

16 Likes

I think John Robinson tested an early prototype.

14 Likes

Interestingly, they seem to be using AC in two different frequencies (100 and 130Hz) and both are not standard mains frequency.

1 Like

shocked pop tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

6 Likes

It would be nice if the person wielding the katana drew it properly, with the right hand. Drawing with the left puts the menuki (ornament under the wrap on the handle, 1 on each side in different positions) under the palm of the hand instead of the proper position under the fingers for a better grip and control.

3 Likes

“…I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut., Hattori Hanzo, as played by Sonny Chiba in Kill Bill: Volume 1, film, 2003 10 10

6 Likes

One could get a papercut.

1 Like

It is vitally important that we create every weapon that ever appeared in Diablo II.

2 Likes

I think the person has the blade upside down.

Unless you’re in armor and wear the sword lower.

Other than that - neat.

At the Makers Faire they had some impressive Tesla coils.

3 Likes

Technically he’s wearing mail armor.

That form tho.

3 Likes

Okay, so if I understand my science correctly (not my strong point), wouldn’t your opponent have to be more conductive than yourself to draw off the electricity?

1 Like

“Here, hold this metal pole for me.”

“Uhh… ok.”

“Hi-ya!” ZAP!

5 Likes

The nips on the suit are the real reason this is so popular.

2 Likes

and on the wrong side… with the hands the wrong way round…

The sword is always worn on the left hip and the right hand is the front one in the grip (regardless of handedness).

The part of me that practices a Japanese Sword Martial Art was impressed that they got basically everything backwards…

1 Like

Unless it’s a flipped image. I’ve been seeing a lot of the physical presence of backward text in TikTok videos lately.

1 Like