Elizabeth Warren on Game of Thrones: "It’s about the women."

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/21/elizabeth-warren-on-game-of-th.html

3 Likes

Women of Craster’s Keep: Burn the Patriarchy!
Cersei, overlooking the Sept of Baelor: Burn the Patriarchy!
Daenerys, wherever she goes: Burn the Patriarchy!

Arya: Feed the patriarch his own sons before stealing his goddamn face!

Other women: Daaaaammn.

24 Likes

Her sister did a number on Ramsay Bolton as well. Apparently the original being-eaten-alive-by-his-own-dogs scene was too graphic and had to be toned down a bit for broadcast.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.avclub.com/game-of-thrones-death-by-dogs-scene-had-to-be-toned-1798251792/amp

7 Likes

And then using that face to kill off every male in the patriarch’s ‘house’, thereby killing that entire bloodline.

Arya Stark’s a fuckin’ beast when it comes to smashing patriarchy.

18 Likes

“Freys? Never heard of them.”

5 Likes

I still love that she took the time to bake Walder’s favorites in the pie. That must have been a logistical nightmare to pull off without getting caught, but it’s those personal touches that make for a really professional mass-revenge-killing.

I like to think there’s an unaired montage scene of Arya spending weeks training under Hot Pie just to ensure she knew how to get the pastry crust right.

16 Likes

True… but she didn’t brown the butter before making the dough.

8 Likes

“You know something, Elizabeth Warren.”

5 Likes

But what about the poor oppressed men? :wink:

1 Like

Too bad that Westeros is so … western.

They could have been as dead as a doornail dumpling.

1 Like

Me: Daaaaammn

3 Likes

I think Arya was going for a Shakespearean-comeuppance theme for the meal. “Feeding your family’s arch-nemesis their own sons baked in a pie” is straight out of Titus Andronicus.

There might have been a little Silence of the Lambs mixed in there too.

4 Likes

Lyanna Mormont looks her way (definitely not knitting by the fire), and nods.

3 Likes

Let’s not disrespect the women who knit by the fire either. One recurring theme in the show is “when Sansa’s sewing needles come out you know some serious shit’s about to go down.” She is crafty in every sense of the word.

7 Likes

Shakespeare is amateur hour, the Thyestean feast goes way back.

1 Like

Here’s the full quote from her I was referencing…

“I don’t plan on knitting by the fire while men fight for me. I might be small, Lord Glover, and I might be a girl, but I am every bit as much a Northerner as you.”

6 Likes

Not to mention that the people of Westeros, especially in the North, are in dire need of warm hats. Seriously, with winter coming they’re probably more essential to the survival of armies than Valerian steel.

6 Likes

At first I mis-read this as “she didn’t brown the butler before making the dough.”

I’m not sure if the butler was lucky or unlucky.

1 Like

I see a mashup:

Titus Andronicus of the Lambs.

1 Like

Nah, there’s a story in Westeros lore (recounted by Bran right before the Red Wedding ep) about a cook who baked his guests’ son into a pie, and how that angered the gods because he had violated Guest-Right.

3 Likes