Elon Musk buys 9.2% stake in Twitter

Originally published at: Elon Musk buys 9.2% stake in Twitter | Boing Boing

2 Likes

31 Likes

The 1st Amendment protects you from the GOVERNMENT restricting your speech.

5 Likes

To be fair, TFA talks about

and not the First Amendment per se. Of course if Twitter’s customers have concerns about whether they uphold

they are more than welcome to vote with their feet (or their wallet). Which I guess is what Elon Musk is doing.

This may or may not highlight some of the potential issues with “money is speech” as a constitutional law concept.

7 Likes

Um. Given how much of a shithole Twitter can be already, does this even make the place worse?

18 Likes

I’m no Musk fan, but what’s he gonna do? Make Twitter worse? Is that even possible? I guess he could get Trump back on Twitter, but I’m still not gonna see it.

ETA: @LurksNoMore beat me to it

9 Likes

Thanks Mush, I didn’t need any more reasons to stay off Twitter, but you just gave me one.

13 Likes

My long-standing refusal to get a Twitter account continues to be justified.

21 Likes

Oh no! What if this ruins Twitter? /s

5 Likes

Honestly this is just posturing. Non founders of Twitter cannot buy voting shares, so he gets nothing from this.

5 Likes

His earlier statements suggesting he was going to create a competitor to Twitter could also be interpreted as an attempt to bring down the market value of Twitter just before he bought it, so it would be market manipulation on both ends of the deal.

7 Likes

looking at a chart of the past month it didn’t look it had much if any effect. but his buy in certainly boosted the price.

omg what if musk became the next republican president …

I know Vice President Thiel won’t disappoint the faithful like the last guy . . .

1 Like

Fortunately for us, he can’t.

1 Like

Again:

8 Likes

Trump, Milo, Graham Linehan, Katie Hopkins… Twitter is already promoting NFTs but there is other evil they could branch out into. I don’t think apartheid emeralds are a thing anymore, but I dunno maybe he could do a cross promotion with De Beers or something. And it’s hard for me to judge as I’m not a target for such things but I think twitter has been getting better at removing death threats, he could reverse that. As bad as twitter is even worse is possible.

1 Like

Again, twitter doesn’t sell voting shares publicly, so Elon’s got about the same power with 9.2% of twitter that I have with one share.

3 Likes

Well, I guess that’s one to avoid getting banned.

1 Like

Like everyone else, he … is blatantly addicted to it.

This might be a new usage of the word “everyone” with which I am not familiar.

1 Like