Elon Musk claims a ghetto pass for his antisemitism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/23/elon-musk-claims-a-ghetto-pass-for-his-antisemitism.html

4 Likes

What a POS. I look forward to the final implosion so we never have to hear about him again.

23 Likes

Season 5 Shut Up GIF by Friends

12 Likes

It’s even worse than that.

https://nitter.net/lib_crusher/status/1749593215584424291

Walking out of auschwitz and into a presentation about how it wouldn’t have happened if the victims used your product

10 Likes

I cannot comprehend how someone can go through a tour of Auschwitz and not come out shaken to the core, though, since this is a fairly typical narcissistic response to preserve the false self, I guess I can explain it without understanding it…

17 Likes

6 Likes

"I’m Jewish by association.

:roll_eyes: Wow, I’m almost tempted to invite him to make some Black friends and try a similar line on LEOs.

So Close GIF by Call Me Kat

11 Likes

Pretty weird to have a conference on anti-semitism in Poland, where it is illegal to point out that Poles were often enthusiastic collaborators in exterminating Jews.

9 Likes

thats because you call it “justified criticism”, you fucking fuck!

5 Likes

I was ready for a reflexive “fuck Elon Musk” response just based on him having the gall to make the trip to Poland for this event, but it’s worse than I imagined.

Either he only figured this out after he started repeating antisemitic bullshit (i.e. he suddenly had a lot of “You know Elon, I’m Jewish” conversations), or his Jewish “friends” are so far right, they were repeating those conspiracy theories themselves. Or both.

In the same way a fish doesn’t see water?

Hooooly shit. It’s made even more obscene by the changes Musk has made to Twitter, making accurate reporting of all kinds, but especially of these kinds of horrors, even more difficult.

13 Likes

Hey, Elon, you know there’s a way you can do that, right? It’s just that it requires finding a Rabbi to guide you, learning a whole bunch of things, and making significant changes to your lifestyle. And sticking to it, consistently.

And joining a community which you aren’t in charge of, but are having to demonstrate that you’ve earned a place in it. So I guess I can see why, when you say stuff like that, that you might be… what’s the word? There’s a technical term for it… oh yes: lying.

16 Likes

Yeah with that quote:

I’m aspirationally Jewish

I felt old Georgy was going “I’m back, baby!”

1 Like

It’s also obscene because Musk imagines that the Nazis wouldn’t have censored social media, unlike all forms of mass media and communication that actually existed at that time.

8 Likes

I don’t think he even imagines that, given he’s been so quick to censor social media on behalf of autocrats all around the world (his business ventures making him vulnerable to threats in ways the previous management weren’t). He knows it darned well - all he can do is pretend otherwise.

8 Likes

yes. he took his 3 year old son with him to auschwitz…

5 Likes

Probably this. Netanyahu (with whom Musk met) and his ilk have their own special version of anti-Semitism against liberal secular Jews, one which allows for the “Great Replacement” conspiracy theory he earlier endorsed.

Meanwhile, I don’t see him kicking the Nazis out of his bar.

9 Likes

Yeah, wasn’t Netanyahu’s son spreading some conspiracy theories like this himself, online?

2 Likes

You know who else visited Auschwitz…?

2 Likes

This morning I was listening to the obituary for director Norman Jewison. Among his most famous films was his beloved production of Fiddler on the Roof. He traveled to Israel, had a Sabbath with an orthodox Jewish family there, and had once been denied entry into a Scarsdale golf club based on his name.

But even despite his longheld, close connections with the Jewish community he was not so idiotic as to claim that he was “Jewish by association.” He even went so far as to make sure that the producers of Fiddler knew that he was a goy before he accepted the job, just in case that was important to them.

When there were (false) rumors floating around that he was thinking of converting to Judaism he joked that sure he’d convert, but then he’d also have to change his name to Norman Christianson at the same time.

10 Likes

QFT.
Been there, while on a business trip to Krakow.
I cannot put into words how I felt.
About half way into the visit, my German colleague started crying uncontrollably, and I had to help him out and finish the visit by myself after he calmed down.

Unforgettable, I probably would not try it again.

We really need the barf emoji reaction.

7 Likes