Elon Musk defends converting offices into drab bedrooms for "tired employees"

The ecosystem he’s building there fosters trolls, and now bedbugs.

15 Likes

Nevertheless his little collection reminds me of another South African arsehole who kept a gun in his bedroom.

8 Likes

I hear that Twitter is in such dire financial straits that even their blue checks have been bouncing.

43 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

27 Likes

They’re selling advertising on the internet, not saving three astronauts from suffocation. America’s values are broken.

19 Likes

Ross Perot is jealous from beyond the grave. Wishes he had thought of putting cots in the conference rooms.

9 Likes

Wtf? Is his giant looming face going to be peering in and making sure they aren’t actually using the bedrooms to sleep? Or maybe he wants to make sure they are using his Musk branded banana cleaners.

9 Likes

He can’t even do evil right. All the serious bad-guys use “business hammocks”, you know, from the hammock district down on third.

13 Likes

Ye dogs, he is seriously desperate for friends/company of any kind.

Let them go home, you needy dickhead.

7 Likes

Friends? He wants a slave labor force of worshippers.

14 Likes

Yep, valid point.

3 Likes

No wall.

12 Likes

I was gonna say “what kind of dipshit lays off half the cleaning and maintenance staff at the same time he’s trying to convert the place into actual living quarters?” but I guess we already knew the answer to that question.

20 Likes

except for those who drink on the job of course. :cat2:

in my personal experience, at nearly every programming job i had in the 90s, the office had some sort of sofa chair, bed conversion option available

i’m glad it’s not the 90s anymore, and also that i can better pick and choose where i work. there’s still so many places that use mandatory crunch time, and the lure of an 1337 ( elite ) job to encourage it. definitely think that sort of thing should be illegal

14 Likes

Absolutely. It’s a disgusting requirement. Crunch time and all that happy bullshit should be relegated to the dumpster. First, they make as many people as they can salaried (they call it “exempt” these days, like you should be exempted from having a life and not being stressed out 100% of the time). Then, they insist on crunch time. Endless, endless, crunch. Oh, but you’re doing it for the cachet of working for the glamorous big tech firm! It’ll look so good on your resume.

Ten years later you’re slinging coffee at a little shop in Burlington, growing out your dreadlocks, and wondering how the hell you’re going to get that maple sugar shack up and running in time for sap season this year so you can put in a load of maple syrup, because you finally figured out that awesome job? The one that looked so good on your resume? You can NEVER STOP DOING IT. The next job, seeing it, expects the same level of commitment! Until you snap… and go live a quieter, simpler life.

Yeah, I snapped. Not quite like that, I didn’t ever EVER put up with that 80 hour week bullshit. No fucking way I would do that. But I put myself in the line of fire with our worst internal customers for 5 long years and finally snapped. Now I’m doing software licensing, where no one yells at me and I can work from home. Because fuck overwork, and over stress, and the system that wants and expects your devotion while it siphons every ounce of capital from workers and customers and drives it into yachts and mansions and hidden bunkers in the mountains and billionaire vanity projects like penis space ships and buying up social media companies.

But I digress… where was I? Oh yes. Good for you, you’re 100% right!

27 Likes

oh i did. both. i was making “art” so it all seemed great, until i realized that no one cared about the projects as much as i or the rest of the team did, and corporate was free to kill projects and move or fire people whenever they wanted

it’s the whole: we’re family, only aunt dorothy was fired for baking the same amazing chocolate chip cookies she did last year bs

i stopped working in tech for many years, and only recently started back up again ( pandemic reasons ). i work contracts now where the stakes are lower and the boundaries are better. it’s been… okay. ( though contracting due to healthcare and taxes is it’s own bs )

14 Likes

… at each of his five CEO jobs :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

I’m surprised he is not charging Rent on those “bedrooms”.
He’s leaving money on the table! That’s not hardcore.

Perhaps that will be announced tomorrow, or maybe it will just be automatically deducted from everyone’s next paycheck.

13 Likes

If the zoning laws won’t allow it, then they’ll just have to sleep on the sidewalk outside.

Hobocore!

14 Likes

It is a tough call in that I’ve def been forced to make unreasonable deadlines before, and having a nice place to nap for a couple hours would have been great. But having the rooms may be an excuse to have people work unreasonable hours.

8 Likes