The moral of the story: make sure you know what you’re worth before asking for more money.
So, I looked into this further. Turns out, things are not quite as they appear - Musk didn’t do her job for two weeks, and then decide she wasn’t needed. He told her to take the two weeks, and then assigned her job to a bunch of other people. For example, he delegated his scheduling to the assistant of another exec at SpaceX, specifically, Gwynne Shotwell’s assistant, assigning her PR work to one of the senior PR flacks, moving the business decisions she was making over to a management team, so on.
So basically, Rich libertarian douchebag fires someone doing a job that took a bunch of people to replace, because they were doing an amount of work more in line with what’s expected of someone much better paid than a mere personal assistant, and they asked to be compensated for their time accordingly. And on top of that, he damned well knew she wouldn’t be needed, because he assigned all of her work to other people, to make sure it got done.
This wasn’t some genius business move, it was a Rich fucking techbro asshole firing someone in an intentionally cruel manner, to get back at them for the ghastly slight of asking for a fair pay in exchange for doing far more work than is justifiable on a personal assistant’s salary.
On top of that? Musk has since hired another personal assistant, according to folk inside Tesla in a position to know.
Edit - Just in case you were wondering, here’s what she was doing at SpaceX/Tesla, on top of her PA work:
- Onboarding new SpaceX employees
- PR, both corporate and Musk’s personal brand
- Managing contractor and business relationships, and forming new ones
- Making many day-to-day business deals that Musk considered beneath his pay-grade(Which rumor has it, was most of them)
- Basically running the company when Elon was unavailable for one reason or another. Elon even gave her essentially blanket authorization to speak and operate on his behalf when he wasn’t available to ease the process.