Elon Musk tells the court he's "financially illiquid"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/17/elon-musk-tells-the-court-he.html

3 Likes

Oh, I’m sure you have a few things that can be seized and sold.

After all, if that’s good for the rest of us… at least you’re getting a trial first.

35 Likes

Court: “Fair enough, Mr. Musk. Judgement for the plantiff in the form of 10,000 shares of Tesla, to be transferred within 30 days.”

You got something of value, Elon. Saying you’re “cash broke” isn’t going to fly.

45 Likes

I wonder how he’s going to pay his legal team…

39 Likes

This is what liquidation is all about Elon…

Sell some shares of Tesla and pay the guy already. It’s not like you need to sell off your majority stake in the company. Think of it as a somewhat expensive lesson in not shooting off your mouth in public.

29 Likes

But…but…his fanbois all tell us he’s a financial wizard (because tech entrepreneur, duhhh!). How can this be?

I’m sure that the cave diver will happily take shares instead of cash as compensation for defaming him, Elon.

23 Likes

Enjoy post-judgement discovery, Mr. Musk.

20 Likes

You’re so proud of all the genius ideas for solving so many of the world’s problems, but how to turn very valuable assets into cash is the one riddle that got you stumped, eh?

22 Likes

I wouldn’t want to call him a genius (I do admit he thinks he is one) - but in a world with Billionaires - I appreciate that he’s trying to do things - Tesla and Spacex have arguably produced real value - even if he’s a crackpot. I appreciate this more than watching the rich buy up all the real estate to turn them into overpriced rental units that they don’t maintain (as an example).

16 Likes

Illiquid means it isn’t possible to sell your assets. You’re not illiquid just because you don’t want to sell any of your assets.

32 Likes

I wonder which company will be tasked with seizing his Tesla?

https://www.whereisroadster.com/

6 Likes

It’s called consequences bitch. Time for baby to grow up.

11 Likes

Hey Elon, just because you don’t need to carry cash, doesn’t make you “illiquid”.

He probably uses one of companies as a piggy bank to pay his personal staff, or do they accept IOUs?

6 Likes

Maybe some of the engineers at Tesla or Space Exploration Tech. can invent a device capable of measuring how little judges care about his intentions.

15 Likes

Wasn’t the defamation suit over some immature statement saying the other guy was a pedo? How many millions is an unsubstantiated rumor worth? Not saying its something that should go unchallenged just I doubt this guy really suffered (millions of dollars worth) as a result of this petty flame war between them. Honestly I doubt a single human being even thought Elon calling him a pedo was true - it looks entirely like he’s suing just because Elon is wealthy and he has some small technical way of getting back at him even though its a bullshit excuse. Don’t agree with what was said but don’t agree with litigating speech either.

Damn, that’s so sad. Should we pass the hat around and take up a collect of canned goods for him?

Maybe start a gufundElon?

8 Likes

Make it enough money that Elon would stop the behaviour?

If it was a $50 fine, what is the incentive for him to stop slandering his critics?

It’s like traffic tickets in the US, what is the point of fining someone $300 for speeding in their Ferrari?

5 Likes

Right now there are millions of people all over the world on social media, saying whatever they want all the time. Not all of it is accurate, flattering, true, in good faith or spirit. Do we take every single one of them any time this occurs into the court system to ‘make them stop’? No. We ignore them, and if it is so bad they are causing a real problem sometimes we ban the account they are using. I don’t think suing someone for something dumb they said is a reasonable response. Just call Elon a lying asshat and call it a day like the rest of us.

Um…

This is the same rich, egotiostical fucktad who essentially dared the diver to sue him after he repeatedly slandered (libeled?) the guy.

Unfuck him; he’s got liquidatable assets he can pony up.

22 Likes

My money is tied up in a bank and I have no intention of withdrawing it. That is my middle class comparison.

9 Likes