Elon Musk thinks people should work in factories 24 hours a day

May the ghost of Agnes Nestor haunt him eternally. On a rotating schedule with other appropriately skilled ghosts with plentiful time off, paid holidays, and adequate compensation because even ghosts should be unionized.

26 Likes

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but here we go again: these fucking billionaires need to shut their fucking mouths and go back to the lonely shadows where they belong!

10 Likes

This Christmas, I wonder who’s going to be Musk’s Jacob Marley and what periods in his past, present, and future the three spirits will take him to visit.

12 Likes

It’ll be fine.

20 Likes

Many talented, hard-working, star technicians and engineers at Rocketdyne sniffed out the possible ramifications of having to work for Aerojet via its planned 2013 acquisition, prompting them to bail for SpaceX en masse soon after the deal was finalized. Little did they know. Cut to a couple of years or so later. Several of them (some of who I knew and cheerfully worked with on many occasions) returned beaten, disappointed, and spiteful. SpaceX’s ‘human resource’, safety and payroll issues from back then are well known and can be easily scoped out on the internet, so I needn’t go into the specifics here. It’s enough that the aforementioned returnees’ bottom line amounted to Musk being blind to people.

19 Likes

FTFY. Don’t want you harming yourself over an American/South African oligarch.

18 Likes

Well, he doesn’t have to, because he owns businesses. Laboring 24/7 isn’t for the elite, it’s for the proles.

20 Likes

He’s not blind to people, he just doesn’t’ give a shit about anyone other than himself and his wealth.

19 Likes

ducky

16 Likes

Musk’s vision for the factory of the future:

Xq4twMh

36 Likes

I think that’s their Hawthorne facility.

19 Likes

When Ford switched to 8hr work days, factory productivity actually went UP. People are only productive for so many hours in a day.

28 Likes

As long as the profits go into 'lon’s pocket, what’s a few dozen drones worth?.

5 Likes

I’m willing to believe that Musk, and others like him, do work objectively long hours, and they believe this qualifies them to lecture the rest of us on the value of hard work.

What they inexplicably forget, however, is that they are doing something they find personally fulfilling, that brings them enormous material benefits, on a schedule of their choosing, and that they can give up any time they want.

Which is a bit different from having to do a job that is (pick one or more) boring, meaningless, physically or mentally exhausting, emotionally traumatising, disgusting, or flat-out dangerous, for a pittance, while suffering the petty tyrannies of bosses or customers.

34 Likes

actually we do have those

they’re called “labor camps” and “prisons”

29 Likes

There is a kernel of truth here, that countries with poor to no labor protections who exploit their workers may be more “competitive” than countries that do, for certain kinds of productivity. The rub is in how you respond to this reality.

The neoliberal response is of course, allow “developing” countries to exploit and underpay their workers, and use this to pressure domestic workers against unionization. The other answer is global labor solidarity that removes the exploitation “advantage.” No surprise which solution Elon prefers.

19 Likes

Will no one rid me of this turbulent oligarch?

28 Likes

This asshole is sounding more and more like he wants to be President.

2 Likes

He’s an immigrant, so he can’t run. Which… good. And beside, we have enough shitbags who are from here, who want to be “dear leader”…

23 Likes

I’m sure he’d like a few 'education" camps Uyghur style set up somewhere in North America. Sadly he would probably have many areas that would actively court his business.

6 Likes