Elon Musk thinks people should work in factories 24 hours a day

Maybe we can nudge him

19 Likes

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

16 Likes

He’d learn a lot of new things about the world if he tried to “run for president” in China :thinking:

8 Likes

Billionaires have a long history of mixing work and pleasure. Golf games, meals at expensive restaurants, sports events, just invite some clients and call it work.

27 Likes

You can write it off on your taxes if you call it work! /s

21 Likes

He can buy himself a President if he wants one.

16 Likes

I think the guillotine gif posters were of a similar mind.

7 Likes

Did he leave South Africa in disgust when they dismantled the pass laws and the bantustans?

6 Likes

And they won’t need to buy cars, will they?

5 Likes

Not-quite-30 years ago, I had a job at a PC manufacturing plant. Supposedly production was so far behind, and demand so high, that management considered renting or buying cots for us to sleep in. Not sure if it was truly discussed or not, but it never came to that, in any case. (We were already working Saturdays and Sundays – this ramped up immediately after they’d stopped paying double-time for Sundays.)

The ironic(?) thing, is that we were building these PC boards, in the USA, for export to China. Theretofore there had not been much demand for PCs there (I was told); the ones we were building for them still used a big DIN jack for the keyboard. Also these boards were completely thru-hole (during and after that, everything else we built was mostly or all surface-mount).

The job was at least two of those things, at least some (certainly not all) of the time. But, more with hindsight, I liked the work. Things improved after the time I just described, vastly so after they moved that particular manager into another (non-supervisory) position. (Which a co-worker accurately predicted would happen.)

But I would be extremely surprised to find that my old job still exists in the United States (except perhaps on some small, experimental or mission-sensitive scale). I was surprised to just learn that the company in question still produces physical objects (somewhere else, I’m sure).

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/10/tech/elon-musk-twitter-trump-ban/index.html

11 Likes

That’s an Ex - President.

5 Likes

christ, what an asshole

8 Likes

And how dare they! The Great Musk requires total, constant, mindless obedience, and gratitude at you peons being allowed to serve his magnificence.

3 Likes

Wow, that paints a rosy picture of what life will be like for the non-rulers of his envisioned Mars colony.

13 Likes

You first, Elon.

8 Likes

Whoa, are you a victim of Michigan’s governerd? I had several uni friends that took jobs at that particular company’s Sioux City, Iowa factory because Bush the Greater’s recession didn’t end until about 1997 (we graduated in '95).

6 Likes

Is he obtuse or evil? Perhaps evilly obtuse. At any rate he’s an absolutely horrible person who is so dangerously detached from reality he verges on lacking humanity.

2 Likes

Nah, this was a couple years earlier than you’ve mentioned, and in Austin. But, yeah, the employment prospects during the early '90s were not what I had expected; that was my 2nd job out of college.

My 1st was working at a place that, among other things, molded the wheels for these:

ETA: By '00 or so, someone I knew complained about the high employment of the time. “You can’t get good service in a restaurant! Everyone who could got a better job!” etc. He said he wished that the economy would turn around where employment was worse. I suggested he might try it sometime.

11 Likes

Who would want to buy a car where the brakes were installed by technicians who had already been working 18 hours or so?

13 Likes

18 Likes