Elon Musk thinks people should work in factories 24 hours a day

For a guy who claims to like science, he seems prone to ignoring common research findings. Like the ones that say shorter hours boost productivity, quality, and safety.

13 Likes

Remember like 3 or 4 years ago when the world seemed to think Musk was this futuristic visionary who would deliver us the long-promised future of flying (well, self-driving, we’ll meet the future halfway) cars, personal robots, augmented reality, hyperloop transportation and affordable space tourism? I really wonder how his remaining fans reconcile that with a moronic, entitled sociopath blathering nonsense that would sound completely in-character coming from the mouth of an 1870s robber baron.

15 Likes

he’s going to be entertaining a workforce two three four times what he has now unless supplemented with a robot generation…

24 hrs is not realistic. working 18 hours with 5 hours to sleep and allotting the additional hour to drive your tesla in circles around the factory while eating the factory’s drive-thru food seems like a more sustainable economic model.

2 Likes

A lot of the factory workers in China are overseas workers from poorer countries. Many factories run 24 hours so its 12 hour shifts alternating between day and night, usually 2 weeks each. They all live in dormitories attached, have a curfew, and are basically like slaves with very little rights.

5 Likes

Judging from his fanbois here, they’re very eager to twist themselves into knots to justify his increasingly disturbing statements and actions.

In an article from 9 May discussing the many ways in which boot-licking apologists for billionaires are wrong, Charlie Stross notes the following:

Elon Musk turns 50 this year. He’s probably finally realized that he is not going to have a luxurious retirement on Mars. If the Mars colony isn’t established within 20 years, he’ll probably be too old to make the trip there (and I’m betting 20 years isn’t long enough for what he’d want).

Assuming Stross is right about this (I don’t see why he isn’t), it would naturally follow that Musk would transpose his Martian ambitions to impose a Libertarian technocracy “paradise” of voluntarily indentured servitude and debt peonage back to Earth.

12 Likes

pretty much

He left for Canada at age 17 because he didn’t want to do mandatory service in the South African military (he was from an affluent family and had Canadian relatives, so he had the privilege to do so). He later claimed he left because he didn’t want to waste two years of his life suppressing Black people. I find a lot of his political-economic views abhorrent but I see no reason to doubt him in this case.

10 Likes

Ah, but you see, this is the heart of the problem. They and their families do not matter. They work to support the owners and shareholders. Period. No other consideration is to be taken at all. If they die, they will be replaced. If they lose their families, it costs the corporation nothing. Profit is all.

– Elon Musk (probably)

13 Likes

I’ll believe it when he (demonstrably) donates to Black causes.

15 Likes

That’s not “real” science (like making rocket ships or software), but “soft” sciences, which as any one in science knows is fake news… /s

Im Not Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

No. It’s not.

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

And that’s the model that Musk is thinking of for American workers.

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

Sure Jan GIF

13 Likes

thank you for pointing that out.

2 Likes

You might have meant that sarcastically, but as someone whose father worked in a factory for much of his life, who did not have to work these sorts of long hours, but rather worked a sane schedule thanks in part to the work of unions, it absolutely needs to be said that this sort of work schedule is NOT humane or sustainable for human beings. Because there are people out there who firmly believe that people who work in factories are disposable for the needs of the elite classes. Including Musk and other billionaires. These people are actually winning the fight right now and there are people who are celebrating that.

We push back on all the disinformation or we lose.

14 Likes

I’m not disagreeing .

5 Likes

6 Likes

Removed. Ninja’d by my laziness in not reading prior posts.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Death camps.

Just like the sign says, “work makes you free”

5 Likes

11 Likes

And the right wing media seems to love Musk now…

8 Likes