Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna win Nobel chemistry prize for CRISPR research

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/07/emmanuelle-charpentier-and-jennifer-a-doudna-win-nobel-chemistry-prize-for-crispr-research.html

3 Likes

But did they have to turn them into strange cartoons? They look like they got stuck in a PSA “You too can recover from jaundice”

2 Likes

The Nobel Foundation likes to make these caricatures of their winners thinking it is “classier” than photos, I guess. In other news, it is interesting that they specifically gave the prize to these two, and not including a third like Feng Zhang. There are always people on these prizes that can’t be all recognized, but this seems deliberate.

The prize went to the right people. Feng Zhang did not know how to make the system work until he read the paper from Charpentier and Doudna’s labs. Then he simply took the next obvious step of building an expression system for eukaryotes, which was an important step, but not a huge leap.

When I want my genes spliced, I know who to see now.

BTW some decades ago I dictated new songs into a pocket recorder whilst bicycling country roads. One song was all about gene-splicing. It was pretty bad. Maybe if I’d had CRISPR it would have been better.

1 Like

There’s a house in New Orleans called the Rising Sun where gene splicing has been practiced for years - admittedly with mixed results - but do they get any credit?

Scientist: “Amazing! That research will help immensely in curing lots of deadly diseases”.

Neonazi: "Amazing! Finally we can only have blue eyed, tall, blond kids.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.