#Emmys: Glenn Weiss proposes to his girlfriend while winning an Emmy for Best Directing for a Variety Special

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/17/emmys-proposal.html

6 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah…

But what if she didn’t actually want to get married? That’s a metric fuckton of pressure to put on someone.

18 Likes

I like the “don’t ask unless you already know the answer” rule.

17 Likes

I often apply that rule on long road trips.

5 Likes

I was thinking the same. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

11 Likes

The public proposal is supposed to sound romantic to us women, or so ‘society’ tells us.

Me, I rather value my privacy and intimacy; and personally I wouldn’t want to share that moment with so many other random people, no matter what my answer is.

12 Likes

There are basically two kinds of public proposals:

1. The kind in which a guy tries to impress his would-be fiancé with a grand romantic gesture, thus impressing her into saying “yes”
  2. The kind in which a guy knows his would-be fiancé well enough to know the answer would be “yes” no matter how the question is asked but will be genuinely thrilled by the extra gesture (obviously not all would-be fiancés fall into this category)

Not knowing anything about this couple I couldn’t begin to guess which category this proposal falls into.

7 Likes

I’m just saying there are people who are swooning all over this, and I’m like… eh, minor ‘TMI,’ yo.

But then again, I don’t even watch award shows (ever) and I wouldn’t even know about this, if it wasn’t online.

5 Likes

Well, I’ve been in the position where I just didn’t realize the other’s feelings are that intense.

Junior year of high school, where a long-time female friend came to class drunk and professed her love for me, but I didn’t feel the same. It was a pretty awkward moment.

7 Likes

Same here.

‘Awkward’ is an understatement.

7 Likes

Even if we agree all public proposals fall squarely in one of either of these categories, which will probably not be true but still, then I still think it is a bad idea to do a proposal in the second category because it will encourage the abuse from category one.

Having said all that, this is by far my favorite proposal video:

3 Likes

That sounds totally toe-curling (I’ve been in your suitor’s position, only sober). I hope you’ve both got over it.

Do your intimate thing in public, people ! Yikes !!

In general I’m terribly against public proposals (can you really believe a “yes!” if you have millions of strangers watching?), but I’m willing to give these folks the benefit of the doubt for two reasons:

1. They aren’t young, so they probably aren’t COMPLETELY under the sway of the collective-societal-rom-com idea of “romantic” things that are actually terrible IRL, and

2. Considering they are both in show business, they might have better than average odds of having a flair for the dramatic.

Three reunions so far, and I haven’t seen her. We both had a miserable time in high school for many reasons, but I’ve been wanting to give her some reassurance for many years now. I hope things got better for her.

1 Like

Dear gawd Xeni, you really need to deal with your addiction to Twitter and you compulsion to share all you find.

2 Likes

But what if he didn’t win?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.