'Empire' star Jussie Smollett attacked [UPDATE: Smollett charged with filing false report]

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/29/this-is-maga-country.html

UPDATE: Smollett lied, say cops: actor charged with filing false police report

15 Likes

I should be surprised at thisā€¦ Fuck 45 with a cactus for giving the okay for this kind of shit to happen again.

ETA not that it was completely gone but it sure didnā€™t get approval from anyone.

29 Likes

Maybe activity this monstrous will be the one that can unequivocally be thought of as ā€œnot niceā€, and no one will step in to explain that itā€™s just a quaint old custom, completely removed from any possibility of being racist.

26 Likes

This is nauseating.

28 Likes

Shit; Iā€™d heard it was a hate crime, not that Maga assholes were involved, yet again.

In before all the devilā€™s advocates, and fence sitters who will still try to find a way to defend this atrocious shit.

Jussie Smollett has a much bigger platform than Nathan Phillips; hopefully he utilizes this shitty assault against him to go even harder on his activism.

35 Likes

Jussie Smollett also seems much harder to smear than Nathan Philips. But Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll try.

12 Likes

You know thereā€™s an airtight defence against this having any political impact: ā€œfalse flagā€ and claims that antifa did this to cast ā€œvirtuous MAGA supportersā€ in a bad light.

I hope the perpetrators are caught and unmasked as long-time, irrefutable MAGA folks who will force a real dialogue about these issues for once.

The situation with our American neighbours down south is utterly depressing. All the best to Mr. Smollett and my sympathies to the majority of Americans held hostage by this brutal, bigoted, yet empowered minority of degenerates.

46 Likes

Because people totally set themselves up to be physically assaulted just to make the other side ā€œlook bad.ā€

The ā€˜logicā€™ is so twisted it makes me want to break something.

This happened in Chicago.

Bigotry is everywhere in the US; itā€™s baked in to the foundation.

33 Likes

I think @orenwolf south of the Canadian border? So, all of Americaā€¦

24 Likes

Urgh. Thatā€™s fucking vicious and nasty. I hope Smollett will be okay, and that the asshole attackers get caught.

13 Likes

Fair point.

27 Likes

Weā€™re all southrons according to Canadians (ie the Wildlings!)! :wink:

27 Likes

You mean the Free Folk?

:wink:

23 Likes

Sorry. Clarified. Shouldnā€™t assume everyone remembers where I live. :wink:

Thanks!

26 Likes

Thereā€™s plenty of racism here in Canada too, we donā€™t get a pass.

20 Likes

I can already hear the spin ā€œwhat exactly was he doing out and about, alone on a cold night at 2 am? Iā€™m sure he wasnā€™t visiting a sick friend, or coming home from a prayer meeting. It seems thereā€™s more to this story that heā€™s not telling us.ā€

3 Likes

I didnā€™t forget that youā€™re Canadian, itā€™s just weird to hear the ā€œhistoricā€ north referred to as ā€˜down south.ā€™

Again, Iā€™m from Ohio, where the difference is generally predicated on ā€˜Stayed with the Unionā€™ or ā€˜Seceded from the Union.ā€™

23 Likes

These poor white men feeling extreme economic anxiety were just going about their business when they started to feel threatened by a lone man out roaming the streets, they went to investigate and smelled a faint skunky smell and could read all the signs of a man with outstanding warrants. Who will recognize these heroes that risked it all? Who!

6 Likes

or Upper Mexicans as the wife and her friends up north like to say.

15 Likes

Thatā€™s probably clearer than basing it on the Soda/Cola/Pop regions.

9 Likes