Engineers tackling "porch pirate" package pilfering problem

We’ve had this in our area for a few months and I’ve been using it when I can. There’s also a “store” for lack of a better term, it’s basically a locker and a drop-chute (for returns) that’s staffed. This doesn’t always work, though – I’ve had Amazon tell me that a given locker is full. They also only hold packages up to a certain size.

I have UPS set up where anything (Amazon, or otherwise) going to my house is diverted to a UPS Store, but sometimes this screws up where they tell me they couldn’t leave it there, so they’re sending it to my house, then it turns out it’s at the UPS Store after all. My favorite was when the text message said it was at the main UPS center; UPS’s tracking said it was at the UPS Store; and Amazon said it was still en route.

FedEx will also divert (when possible) to a FedEx office, but as far as I can tell, it’s on a per-package basis, not by default like UPS will do.

USPS still just gets left on the porch, but when possible, if it’s one of the other shippers, I try to have the package held somewhere.

I had packed up my old train set (at my parents’ house) and sent it home (via FedEx) so my son could have it, and someone stole it right off our porch. (For future reference: don’t re-use a “Honey Baked Ham” box. Find whatever boxes they use to ship brussell sprouts, offal, or turds and use one of those boxes.) Neighbor got their car and (temporary) tag on video, and I sent that to the police, but after 2 years and 2 months I don’t imagine anything will come of it.

1 Like