Enjoy a dish of "Godzilla Ramen" complete with a creepy reptilian claw emerging from the steaming bowl

Originally published at: Enjoy a dish of "Godzilla Ramen" complete with a creepy reptilian claw emerging from the steaming bowl | Boing Boing

2 Likes

having eaten my share of aligator and as a lover of noodly soups, i am not put off by this.
what i do wonder about is the proper etiquette for eating this - as in: does one simply pick it out of the bowl and gnaw on it like a chicken wing or use chopsticks? is it there simply to flavor the broth as it stews away in there? i need to know these things before i plan my trip to Taiwan.
how long before we can look for Nissin brand instant “cup o’ croc” in the grocery store?

13 Likes

I’m not a vegetarian but this still makes me sad/angry. Go to a zoo and take a picture of a living crocodile! Glad they charge extra for this ridiculous waste of an amazing creature, but NT$100 is only $3.22 USD, should be much more.

6 Likes

Does that still have the skin on it? Is it even edible that way? New business plan: make inedible food, charge “food wastage” fee.

8 Likes

Yeah I have similar questions about whether it’s traditional or even possible to eat crocodile legs with the skin on like a chicken drumstick or if it needs to be peeled off first. I was served a gumbo that included alligator meat once but it didn’t include the hide, which I assume is pretty tough.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t have a problem trying a meat that is cut up and cooked. Or in some situations, on the bone. But stuff like this just seems awkward. I thought I was paying you to, you know, prepare and cook the food?

Same with people who like bake a whole fish, vs filleting.

2 Likes

Haiyah! Ingredient is properly called Gojira.

1 Like

Agreed on questions about how to eat this exactly. I’ve had alligator leg, but was already skinned (but still on-bone). I removed it from the bone, grilled and slathered it in bbq sauce.

Hey now, I love me a good whole fish. It’s the only way you get to eat the cheek meat :yum:

3 Likes

Well enjoy. I am not a big fish person to begin with. One time my Polish MIL made a whole whole fish, and I didn’t realize what was going on with the serving on my plate, and it had thin bones in my mouth. Shudder.

Though I confess, I didn’t know fish had cheek meat. Maybe that depends on the fish?

My dad did catch a lot of fish for us to eat during the 80s recession, and he was great a a fillet with no bones.

2 Likes

Yeah, you kind of have to know what to expect to avoid the bones, and it doesn’t work well with fish that have small pin bones (like say, trout). The bigger fish tend to have bigger cheek meat, the small ones not so much (like say, trout). Just using trout as an example. I love trout.

1 Like

i’m sorry…
“thing bones”? :thinking:

1 Like

Located elsewhere:

Dubbed Godzilla Ramen by internet users, the Yunlin-based eatery call their creation ‘thick witch crocodile ramen’

So, as is so often, it’s the internet who’s gotten it wrong.

So tasty.

2 Likes

Oopsie, I meant THIN bones.

1 Like

'Round here, we fight over the cheek meat on pickerel/walleye. When they’re bigger than ~3lbs there’s enough cheek meat to carve out. Very tasty.

And in my opinion, one of them should be reserved for the fish dresser. Which I usually was due to my moderate skills at sharpening knives, dressing fish, and not squeamish at all.

1 Like

Nose to tail in Tokyo - izakaya Mineya near Asakusa:

I ordered the ajifurai - panko crumbed horse mackerel fillets. The owner suggested I should watch the prep process, so I was peering over the counter as the chef very skilfully filleted the fish, then fried the skeleton as an extra crunchy treat to eat alongside. It was yummy - but you bet I made sure to crunch carefully!

Small world story: The owner is a sake sommelier, and after I tried a flight of 3 different ones, she offered to go through their list for me to choose another. The second one she mentioned rang a bell - Haneya - so I said ‘is that in Toyama?’. It was indeed.
My friend Mizuki works at a sake brewery in London, and Haneya is her family brewery run by her dad - and she was actually on a 3 week visit there at the same time I was in Tokyo!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.