Enjoy this fucking tour of fucking New York City

Less relevant nowadays, but:

Fuckin’ right.

1 Like

This is not a Monty Python piece It is neither funny nor British.

Good fuckin’ gravy that is one fuckin’ awesome restroom… just un-fuckin’ real. Please tell me there’s some green neon tube-lighting along the fuckin’ exterior side of the restroom entry door, which would be fuckin’ excellent if it were covered in black flocked jacquard wallpaper.

1 Like

Pedantry rant.
You are technically entirely correct, but there is no connection between the clauses.

1. Not all of Monty Python is funny. Some of it is cringeworthy by modern standards (and was cringeworthy in progressive circles when it first appeared.)
  2. The Monty Python team were/are Anglo-American, not British.

[edit:
I probably need to clarify, @slybevel. One objection to the BBC by Scots, Welsh and Irish comedians has always been its Anglo-Oxbridge bias. The Pythons did make jokes about upper class twits (of the sort who were obviously not bright enough to have got into Cambridge) but their “academic” jokes were laughing with, not laughing at - like the Summarise Philosophers sketch. Whereas people from Wales or Scotland were funny because they were Not Like Us (as were Canadians and Australians).
So my Welsh and Scots aquaintances tended not to find the Pythons funny and describe them as being English humour - apparently self-deprecatory but actually supercilous towards people not like them. Which as an Anglo-Oxbridge person myself was a bit of an eye opener.
Incidentally, @daneel, Terry Gilliam may have British nationality but he was born and grew up in the US, and took his degree there. His considerable contribution to the Pythons was the result of a US education, followed by a degree of police persecution which was one reason he left.]

Pull the other one! They’re British.

ETA -

Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, John Cleese and Michael Palin are all English. I just checked. The one American is Terry Gilliam.

I wrote Monty Python because the Fuck-thingie is most often attributed to them. One of the more prominent places for the mp3 is sigg3.net linking this addendum, crediting Jack Wagner.

It’s okay, Gilliam is British now too (and was before Python, actually)

1 Like

Sorry, there should have been a semicolon.

I only hear fucking bleeps.

The Monty Python team were British. With this one fuckin’ American guy.

1 Like

See my more detailed post above. I am not sure why so many people seem so involved in the “Britishness” of Monty Python.

Maybe because five of the six are English?

You haven’t provided any basis for your argument. Would you like to now?

1 Like

I’m happy to settle for English if you like, but the humour is really quintessentially English and of it’s time, the brilliance of Gilliam notwithstanding. It arose out of an English style that really took a while for audiences in the USA to latch onto, and I think it’s a bit of a reach to describe it as an “anglo-american” collaboration to be honest, even if you can make that argument based on passports.

It’s not the hill I’m going to die on though…

ETA I just realised my initial post on this sounded very aggressive! The whole “one fuckin’ American” thing was supposed to be a glib reference to the original post, apologies if it came off like I was getting all ranty!!! :smile:

See my post above in which I explain how Monty Python isn’t “British”. But to recap:

If you regard that as not providing any basis for my argument, then I give up. If you can find a copy of J B Priestley’s “English Humour”, however, that might enlighten you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.