Enormous iceberg off coast is Newfoundland village's latest and somewhat temporary tourist attraction

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/20/enormous-iceberg-off-coast-is.html

2 Likes

8 Likes

must…climb…omg…can’t…resist…

7 Likes

That’s exactly how “The Coming of the White Worm”, by Clark Ashton Smith, starts – a mysterious iceberg shows up outside a small fishing village…

Creepy!

5 Likes

Great… Now the Global Warming hoax crowd will be using this as proof.

4 Likes

If only I had a luxury ocean liner, I would ram that thing so hard!

6 Likes

It’s obviously very big, but I like how for maximum apparent size and drama they shoot from far away with a long lens.

2 Likes

To avoid sinking, name the ship the S.S. “We’re All Wearing Clean Underwear”.

5 Likes

Lookitthat! Climate change is floating by.

3 Likes

Sure that iceberg seems pretty big now, but before global warming hit it was known as “Greenland.”

7 Likes

. . . Cool.

2 Likes

I do like Clarke Ashton Smith, his “weird” tales are so often totally gonzo, and I’ve not heard of the story you mentioned. Thank you for the heads up.

@anon24181555, I remember seeing a bit of footage of a game of golf years ago, where the TV company was using a telephoto lens. There was a player in the foreground about to tee-off; while, in the background, a 30’ tall horse was nibbling grass in an adjoining field.

Given the berg’s great underwater depth, the seabottom’s dropoff from shore must be very steep.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.