Eric Garner's killer will not be charged

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/16/cant-breathe.html

8 Likes

US govt: “the combined slave patrol and pinkertons taskforce is working as intended”

26 Likes

Not surprised but still disappointed.

10 Likes

I can’t find anything about Orta going to prison for 50 yrs for filming the murder. Is that really a possibility? Or is that a super-short summary of the police persecution he’s faced for the last five years?

4 Likes

What a travesty and miscarriage of justice. F everything about this.

8 Likes

If there’s film of the murder, that is going to put someone else in jail, how is there not enough evidence to prove the cop bastard killed him? It has to be one or the other.

If the cop didn’t kill him, then the film isn’t of a murder. If the film is of the murder, then the cop killed him.

I guess if you aren’t lucky enough to be wealthy enough to pay for problems to go away, your next best bet is to join law “enforcement.”

15 Likes

I was hoping that today would be the one day free of another example of the bigotry and injustice of the political hellscape in which we all currently exist.

Wrong again.

7 Likes

They cited lack of evidence.

The NYPD / Police investigated its self again, and again found no reason to prosecute.

Funny how that keeps happening…

25 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Wasn’t this inevitable in November of 2016?

1 Like

I was kind of hung up on this as well. If “there’s no evidence” it was a murder, then how could Orta go to jail for filming said murder? But it seems like the Snopes article @Jorn_C links to above debunks the idea that Orta specifically faces charges for filming that day. Instead, he’s subject to a horrific, never-ending pattern of police harassment.

5 Likes

Considering the horrible deal the family got in the settlement (3.9 mil minus attorney fees instead of 75 mil), this adds insult to injury.

6 Likes

Not even sure if that matters. The family got a horrible deal once the cops showed up.

Wonder if there is an org that tracks how much money taxpayers have to shell out per year, in mid-size and bigger cities, due to the actions of their law enforcement agencies.

3 Likes

Color me:

15 Likes

Sounds like another interesting Sanders/Warren plan. Stop using taxpayer money for settlements, or face complete restructure.
Of course, easier said than done.

Still, remember the money’s already collected for operating budget. It’s the final distribution to city departments that’s the difference.

2 Likes

The “orange” seems to be flowing down from the top.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what that means. Are you saying that cities typically have a budget to pay for settlements when their cops kill residents?

I like your idea for another Sanders/Warren plan, though. Instead of taxpayers footing the killing costs, let the families sue the cops personally. If they can’t pay, then off to debtors prison they go.

1 Like

No. But city budgets are allocated from taxpayer money, before any is truly spent, right? It’s mainly a matter of whether they can adequately justify the next budget. Apparently, either they’re doing a “fine job”, or budget oversight is not fairly in the hands of its citizens. (/s for the “fine job” part)

1 Like

Of course he fucking did.

5 Likes