Europe "has never treated us well," Trump says

Speaking as an European, it’s not America, really. It’s you, Donnie, you unspeakable piece of shit.

20 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised.

I’d be slightly - but not totally - surprised by “Japan was created to compete with the US”, though.

2 Likes

But we made sculptures and everything.

20 Likes

And after WWII there was Stalin’s Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc.
Having a group of states that traded together and with the USA was useful to contain the Soviet union hegemony.

But maybe he was thinking about Moscow, that is in Europe actually and have ICBM nuclear warheads pointed to major US cities…

4 Likes

Any member of the Administration who was there in an official capacity was committing a crime by violating the Hatch Act

2 Likes

Just take your f…ing military bases and leave already, like you promised!

1 Like

Treating Well = spread the legs?

1 Like

Week two would be teaching him proper capitalization.

2 Likes

That’s kind of what he wants, isn’t it? I’m suggesting you’d better be careful what you whish for if you and him are both thinking it would be a good thing.

The same goes for you.
Also, what a load of horseshit.
Your idea that the EU was founded as a competitor is completely ahistorical.

1 Like

We are wishing for it for different reasons though. He thinks it is a punishment, that we want the bases there. What do you think will happen if they leave (besides my taxpayer money not going to the upkeep of a foreign military’s bases anymore, my country’s nature not being polluted by toxic firefighting foam that would be illegal if used by us, 19 year old pilots no longer flying helicopters underneath our power lines and occasionally crashing into them, etc.)?

Do you think Germany would be invaded by Russia? Really? I’ll tell you what WOULD happen, and why I want them to leave: we would finally get an EU army going. We already have joint brigades with the Dutch and the French. More of that please rather than American airbases that are used to fight Middle Eastern wars from our soil and to coordinate illegal drone strikes all over Africa and the Middle East.

4 Likes

Oh god no. My scenario was a class teaching people to interpret the word salad that 45 spews. He’s unteachable so no one is teaching him how to capitalize.

3 Likes

It’s just non-stop Hatch Act violations in this administration, literally…

4 Likes

You seem to be thinking that this is a good thing.
I disagree very much.

Not very long ago, the overwhelming consensus in Germany was von deutschem Boden darf nie wieder Krieg ausgehen. A blink of an eye ago for any historian, the Minister of War said Germany’s Freiheit wird am Hindukusch verteidigt. Now, pushed by someone feeding his military not only lies but massive amounts of money, NATO is being called brain-dead, Germany is a delinquent, the UK is no longer part of the European security infrastructure and populists are on the rise all over Europe, and the world.

We definitely need no further militarisation. Especially not in the still and again fragile EU. And don’t get .e started on the disarmament agreements actively destroyed by the Trump administration and the Putin administration.

Oh, and just by the way, the taxpayer money line? You’ll find Trump is also saying that.

I’m generally in favour of all troops leaving. Like in: reduce the armed forces. But in this particular instance and moment in time, I am quite sure it is not a good idea to start changing everything at once, and quickly, without proper multilateral discussions. Which is not the style of this admin.

3 Likes

I agree with most of what you say. But an EU army wouldn’t be a new army, it would just be a new command structure and a defensive pact with closer integration between different EU countries than now. Basically NATO, but without the Americans and the rest of Five Eyes.

That one I added specifically for the international, but mostly American, audience here because I have found in countless discussions that even liberal leaning Americans that support a troop withdrawal actually do think that they “pay for our defence”. They are unaware that it is actually us that pay quite a lot of money for the security and construction costs of American bases. In the end I don’t care about the money that much (it’s a tiny amount for each individual and anyway I live abroad, so it’s technically not my taxpayer money) but I wanted to make that point.

3 Likes

Why not both?

Also, as a supremely accomplished businessman and genius, one would think that Trump welcomed competition.

Also, the EU is not your daddy, Donald.

1 Like

Because it is ahistorical bullshit. The Marshall plan, or EPR if you prefer, was all about creating a market, and a free market. Started 1948, ran until 1952. Kicked off the EU, so to say. The Treaty of Paris was signed 1951, as was the Europe Declaration. The rest followed. Both are in the same line of arguement: create a market. Specifically included: a market for US products. Markets form bonds which will ensure peace.

If you believe, at one single moment, that anything of that kind happened while Europe was in ruins without the explicit approval and backed by of the US government, ESPECIALLY with (Western) Germany involved and part of the treaties, I cannot help you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.