The European Union may not admit Americans once their borders reopen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/24/the-european-union-may-not-adm.html

3 Likes

When America sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing the coronavirus. They’re bringing hydroxychloroquine. And some, I assume, are good people asymptomatic.

44 Likes

Can’t say I blame them. I wouldn’t admit us.

29 Likes

That prospect, which would lump American visitors in with Russians and Brazilians as unwelcome, is a stinging blow to American prestige in the world and a repudiation of President Drumpf’s handling of the virus in the United States

Welcome back to the minor leagues, America.

29 Likes

Yeah, and it is still thought to be a rather ineffective measure with a lot of side effects. Families apart. Workers who cannot return for their work. And so on.

Every time I see articles like this it reminds me that the UK isn’t in the EU any more and it makes me sad. An itchy pox on anyone who helped steal my European Citizenship.

26 Likes

Pffft. I think we’re back at little league at this point. We’re one step away from T-ball.

11 Likes

I see TWO passports!

9 Likes

About the best I can say for the British government right now is that they are actively working to help me be able to declare asylum in the EU. I’ll happily take a few weeks of quarantine to be out of here.

12 Likes

The really sad thing is: most of the people who voted to beLEAVE in Britain were already dead (of old age, mind you) by the time it actual happened.

5 Likes

The WHO article you link is from last February. In the two places I know best, Hawaii and Norway, the ban+quarantine combination is considered by the health authorities to remain an important component of their respective success in keeping the disease under control.

4 Likes

Well, we HAVE proven to be utterly reprehensible monsters with absolutely no sense of decency. Maybe not all of us, but enough that I almost can’t blame them for not wanting to take the risk.

What? Oh, right, the virus! That makes even more sense.

6 Likes

My point exactly.

1 Like

I’ll lobby the Canadian government to maintain the border closure between Canada and the US for however long it takes the Americans to pull their heads out of their asses and get the epidemic under control. Much as I’d like to be able to visit my American relatives, we will not cross the border until it’s safe to do so - however many years it may take.

9 Likes

I was supposed to go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy in March… which got rescheduled for October, but I’m feeling it’s not gonna happen because this goddamn country can’t get it’s shit together. I don’t blame the EU at all—I certainly wouldn’t let “America” in its general current state into my home carte-blanche.

The past four years have been a referendum on how much the civilized world needs Americans, really… and we’re all waking up to the answer being “not actually all that much.”

11 Likes

Did anyone expect them to open to places that had increasing case numbers?

2 Likes

Who would want to visit those libertard countries anyway? /s

US about to get relegated like Norwich F.C.

2 Likes

Trump’s sucking up to Putin and Bolsonaro is finally paying off?

4 Likes

The EFL are not minor leagues though.

America is more like Stevenage FC, but I don’t know who gets to be Barrow AFC in this scenario.

4 Likes