European Commission gives Twitter 24 hours to stop spreading "illegal content and disinformation" in the EU

Originally published at: European Commission gives Twitter 24 hours to stop spreading "illegal content and disinformation" in the EU | Boing Boing

5 Likes
17 Likes

Skum replied, I believe, I don’t have his app, that if it continued the way its going he predicts civil war in Europe. Ignoring the fact that there is real war in Europe for just a moment, I predict that Twitter will cease business, in Europe at least, before that civil war.

13 Likes

That was his response? Well, I suppose I’m not really that surprised. Twitter will be going dark in Europe soon, and maybe it will help hasten the demise of the platform so journalists will stop reporting shit being posted there as if it matters any more.

16 Likes

Meanwhile Thierry Breton has opened an account on Bluesky.

12 Likes

10 Likes

Musk: ‘Heh, prove it.’

The EU and the rest of the internet’s response:

9 Likes

Television Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

5 Likes

So basically they need to shut down entirely.

10 Likes

… so that was yesterday

How many hours are left :confused:

7 Likes

Would it be impolite of me to say (whatever the EU does) that I look forward to never seeing a Tweet (or whatever) on this website nor its BBS again, no matter how jovial or atrocious the subject matter?

15 Likes

I’m into never having to see tweets or the head asshole ever again.

Thumb Up GIF by ION

12 Likes

Either Musk is going to be hit with some big fines (or just leave Europe), or the EU is going to blink here (I don’t know how likely that is), because there’s no way Xitter is going to comply. What with Elno promoting accounts deliberately spreading obvious disinformation, the lack of staff currently at the company for dealing with such issues, and Elno’s cavalier attitude towards regulatory compliance… it’s a combination of Musk not wanting to comply and almost certainly not being able to even if he did want.

10 Likes

It really is.

7 Likes

FUCKIN’ EH, BABY!!! :facepunch: :facepunch: :facepunch: :facepunch: :facepunch:

I was a journalist in my previous career. An accusation of this nature requires more than two independent individual sources for verification. Official confirmation and/or documentary proof and/or confirmaed eyewitnesses are also required.

No-one here is asking to see the photos that the stringer (sorry, “well known journalist”) who posted the “decapitated babies” story on Twitter claims she saw. If she has them then she can submit them to a reputable outlet, which can then confirm to their audience they exist (and, the times being what they are, that they’re not AI-generated fakes).

Atrocities of that nature are not unheard of, but they usually take place away from any chance of outside observation. There are documented instances of members of the SS einsatzgruppen dashing children’s heads against the rafters in the lawless blood lands of Eastern Europe, but those stories came out during post-war war crimes trials and involved names of victims and actual dead children, and were further confirmed by the Nazi scum bragging about it.

Rumour-mongering, in contrast, has long been recognized as a danger to their own efforts by combatant nation-states. Responsible countries take extra care to validate frightening stories before releasing them to the public. During WWII several short films were made specifically on that subject. For example:

Reputable news outlets have followed the same line in general with their editorial standards. Our problem now is that social media platforms – especially Musk’s – don’t have any such standards.

10 Likes

According to the article, “Online platforms that don’t comply with the DSA’s rules could see fines of up to 6 percent of their global turnover.”

With Xitter’s ad revenues tanking every day, that fine might not be very large.

7 Likes

Better Off Dead Cash GIF by moodman

8 Likes

… must be at least 36 hours by now :confused:

2 Likes

He tried a little…

Elon Musk’s X: X says it has removed “hundreds of Hamas-affiliated accounts” and taken down thousands of posts since the militant group’s attack on Israel. via CNN

Also…

3 Likes