Even mild coronavirus cases can lead to brain damage, say doctors

Are you a police officer?

14 Likes

Orange tanner seems highly effective in that regard

Much to my surprise, I have so far received no vitriol on the mask question. And it’s surprising since I really stand out with a half face respirator and those oh-so-stylish hot pink filter cartridges. Add in long hair and fingernails that are sometimes painted to match said filters (3M 60923 cartridges are a lovely magenta and yellow that are fun to key off of), and I would seem like an ideal target for harassment on that point.

Maybe they sense from across the parking lot that I used be certified as an OSHA instructor, and can use ‘epithelial’ in a sentence?

4 Likes

It’s already here if 33% of the USA still thinks Trump is doing a fine job handling the pandemic.

3 Likes

16 Likes

/s

12 Likes

Substantial enough for this: Mounting clues suggest the coronavirus might trigger diabetes

This is a very dangerous takeaway. Please note that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

To explain:
Nearly ALL known data comes from situations where children had basically no social contacts outside families, schools and kindergärten and playgrounds were closed. Also there is a strong testing bias towards adults: if someone in the family get tested positive (and it is usually the adults because it is very difficult to test at least small children), the whole family gets quarantined; children usually don’t get strong symptoms, so it is unknown in at least some cases if infection actually started with them. There is no evidence that children produce less viral loads (rather: there is evidence that they don’t), and they do have more intense contact both among each other as with adults.

That’s plain wrong, as far as I know. The strain entered Italy (and other countries), AFAIR the index patient for that strain was located in Shanghai.

9 Likes

Or a chef? /s

4 Likes

Can’t wait though, right?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

Thanks. My summary was general and I had checked it with the transcript - perhaps a letter to the Times from you is in order? Science/Health reporter Donald McNeil.

This is why whipped cream canisters should be as well regulated as any other narcotic.

whippits

3 Likes

You don’t need to choke them to death, if you just wait Rona will probably do the job for you, in a way more terrifying way.

edit: forgot to add /s

1 Like

The CDC said that .65% is the current death rate from COVID (estimated.) The population of the US is 328 million. Herd immunity will burn this out at 75% of the population (if immunity is conferred, which it sounds like it is based on lack of re-infect rates in health care providers, study probably coming out at some point soonish.)

So… 328,000,000 * .75 *.0065 = 1,599,000 dead.

4 Likes

You sound like the kind of person who just can’t wait to change that.

2 Likes

Would that help? I doubt it. Also, I’m fighting windmills if I start writing letters to the NYT.

Oh, earlier I said “herd immunity will burn this out.”

Then I read this:

We’re probably not going to ever see the end of COVID.

7 Likes

Don’t fight that windmill. Nevermind. Also do not attempt to make a film about fighting windmills.
But do see “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” if you haven’t yet and you like Terry Gilliam.

3 Likes

That is potentially bad news, yes. But the antibodies measured there are just one part of the human immune system; their decline does not automatically mean the immunity will be lost. As @docosc likes to remind us, there’s a metric shitload of things we don’t know about Covid-19 yet, including most of the long-term stuff.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.