Even when you turn on Win 10's "privacy" flags, it still spies on you

Not that much. I got some 300 milliamps at 5 volts when idle and not much more when loaded. Plus something for the USB peripherals but that’s it.

1 Like

This is a good start for straight instructions that absolutely anyone can follow. I’m completing these steps tonight when the kids finally sleep, or rather when everyone else is asleep. According to the comments it doesn’t plug all the holes but some big ones all the same.

I think I do not like the opt-out seeding that you aren’t really told about. Admittedly, no one has ever previously asked my permission to make my machine a part of their botnet, but goddammit.

I live in the sticks, most everyone out here has a bandwidth cap, if I want to seed something I will, but really, really MS should’ve asked plainly.

3 Likes

After the effort of giving a Pi a second ethernet port, and having it process packets at gigabit speeds, there is no reason to assume that there won’t be optimisation problems. A decent router with a powerful processor should already be optimized for fast throughput, and the hardware is already in an optimal form, so I think that this approach would ultimately save a lot of time and effort, if performance was a concern.

I am sure a Pi could work, but I can’t think of any arguments for using one instead of anything else, unless you happen to have a spare Pi lying around unused.

The uplink is limited by the ISP speed. In most areas you get low few dozen megabits.

That gets you to the expensive realm. The cheap ones are grossly limited by RAM and flash.

Common, everybody who has a hole up their ass has one or more, well-supported by all sorts of code, inexpensive, runs from a microSD card that can be easily replaced in case of problems so pretty much unbrickable. Also, once you upgrade the router, you can recycle the pi into something else.

would it be effective to create a batch file to overwrite hosts on startup? if so, someone smarter than me should do that.

By default…

is in a different clause/context than the MS rep’s quote. By default it sends query and usage data, but according to the rep if you uncheck all that it doesn’t.

TP-Link Archer C7 is a good router, is 720mhz fast and has 16 mb of flash with 128mb of ram, costs around $120 you can go cheaper but also supports AC wifi and with Multiweb based on OpenWRT you can do anything with it plus supports 3g/4g dongles etc. If thats too pricy, checkout the list at http://ofmodemsandmen.com/supported.html

1 Like

Elsewhere on BB: buy this drone! Fly it over the neighbourhood! You can even stick a camera on it!

2 Likes

Why ditch one giant morally dubious company for another? Go straight to Linux, and if there is a service you actually need Windows for, dual boot. Apple isn’t a good company, and in many ways they give Microsoft a run for their dubious, customer unfriendly, money.

5 Likes

This Macbook Pro I’m using right now is getting long in the tooth (bought Jan. '08, and there were newer models than this one) and I’ve been thinking ahead to what’s next. The thing keeping me tied to Windows or Mac is that I’ve built up a sizable iTunes library, ripped from discs, and with me painstakingly typing in the credits (where “Lyrics” go). I’d rather not import those hundreds of discs all over again into a non-iTunes library (which may or may not work with iPhone). But, I gather there’s some sort of Linux workaround, in spite of it not having an iTunes client(?).

What would keep me on Mac, in spite of what you’ve mentioned, is if they put MacOS on a tablet (like Windows on a Surface Pro).

I’m not an expert on this, I migrated from OS X back to Windows (with a brief stopover in Linuxland) about 7-8 years ago. But your library should be pretty much universally usable by any competent music player, even if you ripped as something more Mac friendly like AAC. Itunes should be, also, keeping all these files in a nice orderly directory structure, which makes switching easier. I can’t help you on whats the best player out there in *Nix land.

I will say, though, and it pains me to say this, iTunes is hard to get rid of. Even with its horrible bloat, especially for us non iOS users, it is better than a lot of other players out there. It seems like everything wants to be the opaque horror of Winamp, which pretty much failed at large libraries; I’m sitting at over 8k items, and a lot of players choke, or expect me to manually manage the behemoth, or worse have a GUI made by nerds for the use of nerds.

The only things holding me back is Lightroom, Photoshop, and Steam. I understand games being mostly Windows only (with increasing OS X support), but I really wish I could tear myself from Adobe’s grasp, but there just isn’t any real alternatives for professionals and power users. Especially since I have a growing suspicion that this Lightroom is the last Lightroom that will actually exist as a real license and not crap cloud rental software.

2 Likes

According to uncle Google, the metadata are stored in a XML file. As such, it should be easy (or easy-ish) to export them to some other format for other software.

1 Like

re Lightroom alternatives: Have you looked at Darktable or Lightzone? They’re both closer to Lightroom than GIMP is to Photoshop.

You could maybe run Photoshop in a VM.

(Steam is of course on Mac & Linux with a rapidly growing library — I’ve got more than enough backlog without pining away for Windows-only titles.)

2 Likes

I looked at Darktable awhile ago, and while it was pretty decent, its profile support was spotty, especially when shooting with non-Canikon kits. Another issue, and this more of a Linux issue, color management is a bit of a pain. My monitor is wide-gamut, full aRGB, and I keep things calibrated with a color monkey, doing ambient checks before a large batch of PP, and Linux, last time I tried this, choked (using both Ubuntu with Unity, or Gnome, and using OpenSuse with KDE).

Of course another barrier to entry is being locking into Adobe’s annoying library format. I’ve got several thousand pictures, with ratings, adjustments, tags, etc…, organized into various collections for printing, sorting, and future work… Its hard to really move past this, since it is thousands of hours of work. Though every time I see Creative Cloud get more and more invasive, I get more and more motivation.

Photoshop is less important, since I generally avoid extensive retouching. Gimp would actually work fine, if I took the time to reteach myself. And I was looking at the fork that Photoshopified Gimp, and it looks pretty good. But does The Gimp support more than sRGB yet?

2 Likes

I’m a little surprised the OSX version of Darktable doesn’t leverage ColorSync and built-in RAW support (which seems fairly extensive to this nonexpert.)

If Creative Cloud does envelop more of Adobe’s product line I expect someone will write a library metadata exporter PDQ, if they haven’t already.

I really wish there was a perfect solution, in all platforms.

I’d like directory based management, with something like a XML file per directory saving processing, and stuff that can’t be contained in normal metadata. I’d like this file to be mostly universally readable, based on a truly open standard. I’d like open-source lens/camera correction profiles. I’d like the whole thing to be portable. I’d like no, or completely opt-in cloud support, with the ability to choose my provider. I’d want this software to play nicely with others, and have a decent ability to export RAW to software for editing without kludgy uncompressed TIFF files. Mostly I’d love new lens and camera support to be live updating, potentially allowing the user a choice between various profile variations.

I also wish I had infinite free time, and more than a poor modicum of programming ability.

1 Like

As for the rest, it may take a few years but I think things are moving in the right direction.

3 Likes

I’m using Win 10 now and a vpn ( https://ironsocket.com/ ) as my HTTP and DNS proxy. I don’t think it bypasses the proxy.

Run tcpdump on the gateway. Include packets from the machine, exclude those that go to the VPN server. See for sure.

1 Like

I’ve happily used an Ubuntu machine for most professional work for more than 10 years.

Less listening to vendors alternate between blaming each other’s products and pushing for upgrades.

I’ve also learned durable and useful skills and often avoided the need to relearn with each new “improved” feature or upgrade.

Best of all, Ubuntu forums tend not to feature unresponsive, legally precise, hide-the-ball corporate doublespeak like:

“As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be delivered to provide ongoing new features to Bing search, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code. No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer’s chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device.”

3 Likes