Ever experienced sickness after getting a tattoo?

Originally published at: Ever experienced sickness after getting a tattoo? - Boing Boing

3 Likes

Are we talking about an actual physical reaction, say like with allergies, or something more akin to buyer’s remorse?

9 Likes

Meanwhile, 8 days ago, this vid came out.

8 Likes

When I lived in Japan, I spoke to some gentlemen in a bar once who had tattoos (perhaps over about a third of their bodies). They referred to a sickness that could be reduced or avoided by taking hot but exquisitely painful baths after each session. Also to some additives in the ink as far as I could understand them after the sheer amount of shochu we were drinking.

4 Likes

I’m not covered in tattoos, but I’ve had three, and I’ve never experienced this. And I know several people with tattoos, and none of them have told me they’ve experienced this, either.

Some of it, though, could be explained by pain. Depending on where you get them, and you’re own nervous system, tattoos can be quite painful. And if it’s a tattoo that takes an hour, like my last one did, that’s pain that lasts for an extended period of time, and that will make you feel a certain way the next day.

6 Likes

Like @danimagoo I’ve also got three tattoos and never experienced this sickness. My late uncle started getting tattoos when he was 40, ended up with a full body suit including armpits (shudder) but excluding neck, face, hands and feet and never mentioned any kind of sickness. I can imagine drunk or stoned people getting a shit piece of flash done and regretting it the next day but that’s a whole different thing and why tattooists aren’t supposed to - or legally allowed to - ink drunk people.

2 Likes

I’ve got 20+ hours of tattoos, over multiple years and sessions, all done professionally, in many different colours, and I’ve never experienced sickness. Some pain and tenderness for sure, but nothing like they are talking about.

2 Likes

Shit, I’m an idiot. I just got the joke. Morning "sick"ness. As in looking in the mirror the next morning, smiling, and saying, “Sick!”

8 Likes

So many people in the thread who didn’t watch all the way to the end :rofl:

It’s a bit like when I tell people I’m body dysmorphic, and I get a very skeptical response. “But it’s true” I say, “I look in the mirror each morning at this chubby physique and say ‘looking good hotshot!’. I even do the finger guns pew pew”

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

3 Likes

Oh I watched it til the end. I just missed the joke.

3 Likes

As the video was just a set-up for the guy to look at himself shirtless in a mirror and say, “Sick!”, I’m now really unsure if this is a real thing or not…

I got the joke, but now I’m not sure if the joke was premised on it being a (supposed) real thing, or if he made it up entirely for the joke.

3 Likes

2 Likes

You can buy this as a temporary tattoo now.

1 Like

For several months after I got my tattoo, I could feel it’s location on my back when I took a hot shower.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.